• Register Today It's free!

Anyone tried a Granatelli?

nicholtl

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I'm wondering if I should get a Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor...or even just a Mass Airflow Sensor period. They claim 10-15hp gains (which probably means 5-7hp at most) and it costs about $300. Has anyone tried/installed one in their explorer and if so, does it work or is it just horse sh_t?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

someone on my f-150 board recently bought one and said it didn't work at all, then he disconnected the battery, left it off for like two hours, then plugged the battery back in and it gave a noticeable different. iv'e heard a lot of negatives and a few positives.

Judging by your supercharged V8, as a rule of thumb more air is always good for your kind of setup... i would get it if i were you and i would also look into getting headers as well. I would prob do the headers first, if you havent already... A throttle body couldnt hurt either.

the Granatelli is the same as the pro-m but private labled for them. the Granatelli is more expensive and for some resone has more problems then the pro-m ones. the pro-m goes for 220 from me. they should work fine i have used a lot of them on rangers and explorers and that is what troll runs.

Hey chuckyD do you know of any companies that make throttle body spacers for a 97 5.0L V8 thought? I looked around online and the only two makers were poweraid and helix power tower, both which only made for the 4.0L engines. Also, I read that the use of a MAS produces a lean mixture of fuel and air, which isn't good for a supercharger since chargers benefit from a richer mixture. i've even been told that i should take out my tornado fuel saver since its simply an obstruction. any thoughts?

1) throttle body (carb) spacers don't usually help in fuel injected applications.
2) A larger MAS should be calibrated correctly. If so, it will not directly lead to fuel/air mixtures other than with the stock meter.
3) As far as I've heard, except for your post, is that Tornados are nothing but a fancy gizmo to drain your wallet.

Well that's interesting. Like I said there were several mpg gains but as for hp (i even reset the battery), it was barely noticeable...again, perhaps even a placebo. As for the MAS, yeah I believe they are supposed to all come correctly calibrated? Atleast, that's what they claim to be. Some (such as the Pro-M) have units specifically designed for supercharged engines. Is this what you have, or simply the one calibrated for the stock engine (which is think is the 75mm or 80mm one)? In your honest opinion, do you think your shelling out of $300 for the MAS was worth it? If so then I'll probably get one.

If you go to pro-m's site, they have recommended hp levels for different sized MASs. We're probably both pushing the limits of the stock size, I'll probably upgrade by summertime.

It should help with some HP.

A larger MAF is just like a larger throttle body, intake and exhaust. They just move more air. Since you have a supercharger, you very well may get a noticable boost in hp from a larger MAF. I tried one and got pretty much nothing (other than a constant check engine light problem). However on your Ex, it should help.

Seriously, if you have a supercharger, isn't that enough? I mean if I had plenty of money to spend after I put down $3000 on a supercharger sure I would, but I don't.

Unless you or your parents are rich or something you might want to think about the future and save your money.

Trust me, I've been down that road before with a $5000 stereo system - ridiculous. I still feel like a moron.
Sometimes you just gotta know when to quit.

You know what you're actually right. Just for the record I do make my own money. But when I stop to think about it, if I'm gonna spend all this cash to make something insanely fast, why a lifted explorer? Maybe I should think about getting a car that starts off insanely fast, and then just make that thing ridiculous like the supra in fast and the furious.

A little late, but I have that MAS. Worked cool with my TB and all that, but now I am aparently having some trouble with it. Made me fail my smog and throwing my mixture waaay off. I think it was running ok before, so Im going to send it back for replacement (3 year warranty!). Anyways.. other than the trouble Ive been having its great. WAY bigger than stock... but I would really only recomend it for people with superchargers or highly modified engines (I dont think it really did a whole lot for me really.)

nick

Granatelli is JUNK! I would never buy his crap! Not only that, he's an arogant a$$hole!

Back