Anyone try '96up full exhaust on '91-'94 5.0 Conversion? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone try '96up full exhaust on '91-'94 5.0 Conversion?

WickedWindsor

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
351 powered, 1991 XLT 4x4
Can the full exhaust fit under a '91 like mine with stock radius arm bracket assembly and 5.0 from a '96 up 5.0 Ex?
I'm considering swapping over to FMS headers for Explorer and using stock '96 Ypipe and muffler assembly. My goal here is to have a non-custom, over the counter replacement setup.
My custom setup is driving me nuts lately as I have an exhaust leak I believe at the header flange (MAC 351 Mustang swap). It is not a one piece flange and they've warped to create an uneven surface at the head flange.
So, as I'm about to purchase new headers, I'm very tempted to try a 'stock' setup to keep replacement costs lower.
I'm not concerned with the fact I have a 351 now. The heads are basically 1/2" out from the block center. I'm thinking I could compensate for this as I install the ypipes. What about overall clearance with oil pan, radius arm bracket and tranny?

in my BII I have 98 5.0L, TM headers, 98 5.0L explorer down pipes (modified the drivers pipe slightly to clear the mustang style dual sump oil pan and front TTB driveshaft), and then a dual inlet single outlet muffler.
Using the stock 98 5.0L down pipes after the headers gives you the 4ea 02 sensor bungs and the primary cat converters.

2893downpipe.jpg

It is them very simple to run a Y pipe or a dual inlet muffler right after the factory 5.0L pipes and finish the exhaust how you choose.

2893dualin.jpg

On a Gen II to use the factory 5.0L down pipes (like I did in my BII as described above) in a Gen I truck with the TTB front end you have to modify the d side to clear the d shaft and trans bellhousing as well as Mustang oil pan.

You will not be able to use the stock 96-2001 5.0L explorer oil pan in your truck, it is notched for the Gen II IFS, so the pipes and cats must be modified a bit

Pictures of all this are in my BII conversion thread, towards the end.
Should be identical to what you are looking to do.

2893dualin2.jpg

the drivers pipe will be a custom setup.
You MAY be able to use the factory 5.0L exhaust in your 4 door Gen I truck from the factory secondary cat back (secondary cat, muffler, pipe over rear axle) but the factory 5.0L stuff is not the best setup IMO with 4 cat converters,( the secondary one not being needed IMO) and a big muffler and small tail pipe

Back