Anyone use these Shock/Spring kits | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone use these Shock/Spring kits

Yes, great write up! It really helps when you can see pictures. I'm still not "geting" the whole 2x4 / breaker bar leverage thing. It looks like the 2x4 is touching the floor at your feet. So you'd only be able to pivot upwards from that angle. Downward if in the rear. I don't have a breaker bar... looks like I'll need one huh?

Did you use one of those ratchet wrenches that are angled to get those strut bolts out? Those were a pain to get to. Very tedious.

I'm assuming that nothing needs to be "torqued" when put back together right? Just wrenched tightly?

EDIT: Just noticed that you indeed do need a torq wrench. I'll rent one that goes beyond 150lbs.

Good call on the lube the day before. My rears are fine though, but the fronts are probably corroded.

the lower control arm can't be lowered down easily by stepping on it, you need some leverage to step on at a comfortable position (such as standing straight) The breaker bar is optional, I tried using it but it requires a lot of effort since it's too short and moves around (that's why I put the other end in one of the holes in the frame) I prefer to use a torq wrench especially when doing suspension stuff. They are not that expensive in Harbor Freight ($10)

Those angle ratchet helps a lot (they're only $5), it takes forever to remove all 3.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you suggesting that I order new nuts? Just what parts do you suggest I order when It's all said and done? My Explorer has 178K miles on the original struts! Boat isn't the word. It's damn near uncontrollable!

I was going to order from Rock Auto, but if I get the Strutek's, I 'll need to know exactly what parts I should order to make life easier.

THanks!
Jason

the manual recommends replacing it with new ones, but I don't think it's necessary. I just put blue locktite to be sure on the re-used nuts. It's better to replace them, they're not that expensive in the dealership.

I need to do a rear strut job and see these strutTEKs are reliable. I went on the site linked above and see different struts, but I am unable to select the make/model/year on that site.

Are the bolts that you used the angled wrachets for metric or SAE? Thanks!

I replaced the fronts in my 03 due to broken spring. New nuts came with mine I got from UAP/NAPA. Do yourself a favor and get new link kits and a metal blade for your reciprocating saw (to cut the old ones off). If you get the link kits with improved (harder) inserts you may need to put a spacer on your floor jack to push on the bottom of the link bolt to compress it enough to get the nut on the top of the link. A nut cracker can come in handy when the top nuts are rusted.

Well, I'm not sure that's such a bad idea really. But can you provide an example of what a link kit is? Im not really sure what it is. I saw at various sites that you can buy like new joints for the a arms but I don't know what that stuff is called. But that doesn't mean I can't do the work! Lol.

It's kinda like playing guitar. I know tons of songs, and tons of chords ...but that doesn't I know what thenames of all the variations and shapes. But that doesn't mean I can't play. Its nice to know such things things though, so I learn what I can as I go.

I'm at Harbor Freight again... And still have no clue if I need metric it SAE ratchets and sockets !

Thanks

Aw.. thanks for that! My Struttek's arrive today. Hopefully I'll have the time to start on them this weekend. I might wait till a buddy can come over to help, but I don't need any I dont' think.

Also, did I read somewhere that a torque wrench was needed? If so, how many pounds, and one which bolts?

And thoughts on the links and which ones I should replace if any?

j

Aw.. thanks for that! My Struttek's arrive today. Hopefully I'll have the time to start on them this weekend. I might wait till a buddy can come over to help, but I don't need any I dont' think.

Also, did I read somewhere that a torque wrench was needed? If so, how many pounds, and one which bolts?

And thoughts on the links and which ones I should replace if any?

j

the writeup here will help a bit even though you aren't installing lift spacers:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279667

The link kits are the long bolts that connect the sway bar to the lower control arms. Each has a long bolt, nut, 4 large washers, and 4 rubber/urethane bushings. In an area that uses road salt they will be very rusty. The reciprocating saw and metal blade will save you a lot of time and grief.

Back