Anyone with a Powerdyn supercharged 5.0 have 1/4 mile times? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone with a Powerdyn supercharged 5.0 have 1/4 mile times?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To make it easier, take the radiator out. Then take the alternator off first. You'll have to extend the wire down to it. The fan is a pain to get off and you'll need a special wrench to do it, but if you ordered it new they will send you one. Just take your time doing it, and the instructions are trash. It's filled with useless info and blurred pictures.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

BeauJ said:
To make it easier, take the radiator out. Then take the alternator off first. You'll have to extend the wire down to it. The fan is a pain to get off and you'll need a special wrench to do it, but if you ordered it new they will send you one. Just take your time doing it, and the instructions are trash. It's filled with useless info and blurred pictures.

You got that right! The pictures provided, were worthless! I had to just sit there for a while with the parts in my hands after tearing my engine bay apart and look to see how things really went! Plan for extending the wiring, plan for not recieving the fan wrenches(I didnt), go to Auto Zone and just borrow them, plan on your alternator brackets to be messed up, plan on getting a different length serpentine belt than what comes with the kit, planon having to really work with the front left hose going around the supercharger bracketry and into the water pump. Like Beau said, take the radiator out. I pretty much took the whole front end off because I hate so much to work in tight areas. Once you get good at it you will be able to do it all pretty quickly. Onething you can choose to worry about or not is that your A/C lines go through your radiator too so when you loosen them they will be spewing alot of nice green stuff(refrigerant) which is illegal to do(blahblahblah). If your installing the XB-1A head unit instead of the BD-11 head unit then you will have a really fun time (pain in the arse!!!) tapping the oil pan while not getting shavings into it. I suggest an oil change right after doing this just to be safe. I used thick white grease and stuck mostof the shavings to the tap flutes. You will then have to pull the oil pressure sensing unit and install an extension and a tee off of it to run your oil line to the XB-1A. Make sure you got this right and damn good and sealed! If it leaks it will cost you a total re-tear down(it was not fun). If you dont have an XB head unit, which I sense that 98% of people doing this install will not, then disregard those pointers. Bottom line is that like Beau said, the instructions suck!!! I actually wrote Powerdyne of this and even included my revisions to their instructions and more detailed pictures of what was needed to be seen and never got any reply. I guess they didnt like someone hitting on their terrible instructions. Good luck.

thanks for the input guys, i appreciate any help i can get...

what about changing the pulley? i am not going to be satisified with 6lbs. for long...lol

96Saleen said:
thanks for the input guys, i appreciate any help i can get...

what about changing the pulley? i am not going to be satisified with 6lbs. for long...lol

No you wont be. The pulleys are rated for 5 speeds shifting a 6K. Stock explorers shift at 5K at WOT. So if it says 6 psi pulley, you'll be hitting 4-5 psi. Get a 9 psi, and you'll be lucky to hit 6 psi. Get an 11 like I got, and hit 8-9 psi regularly. Get the XB-1A like Roberts gonna sell me, put the 13 psi pulley on, change your shift points to 6k, and hit 13 psi whenever you want :D ;)

gotcha, what does it take to change it?

i am about to order a 11psi pulley...hehe

96Saleen said:
gotcha, what does it take to change it?

i am about to order a 11psi pulley...hehe

A pair of channel locks to hold the shaft still. Otherwise when you try to untighten the bolt hold the pulley, it will just spin. There's a little input shaft that hold the pulley in place that you may need to shorten with a hacksaw (or other power tool). Then just put the pulley in place with the input shaft to keep it in place, and make sure to tighten the HELL out of the tensioner. Otherwise, it will slip badly and squeal very loud.

awesome, thanks again for the help...i am going to start the install friday night and finish it up on saturday. i will let you know if i have any questions...

BeauJ said:
Get the XB-1A like Roberts gonna sell me, put the 13 psi pulley on, change your shift points to 6k, and hit 13 psi whenever you want :D ;)

..and build the bottom end of the engine along with new valve springs...

do you guys think our motor can handle 11psi?

BeauJ said:
Yea, but I'd get a chip and Iridium spark plugs to be safe.

yup, i already have one step colder spark plugs and will be getting a custom Superchips dynotune along with water injection next week...

96Saleen said:
do you guys think our motor can handle 11psi?

If your actually going to be SEEING 11 psi then you best have a great tune, never run into a batch of bad gas and keep a very close eye on things. I am not saying you cannot do it and make it last a little while, but you will be really running in thin ice. I would suggest that if you were to do that,you should have money for an immediate rebuild already set aside. Goodluck, have fun and remember that it is fine to take small risks here and there to have fun, just keep a close eye on things and do it right and you shouldnt have too many problems.

rocket 5979 said:
If your actually going to be SEEING 11 psi then you best have a great tune, never run into a batch of bad gas and keep a very close eye on things. I am not saying you cannot do it and make it last a little while, but you will be really running in thin ice. I would suggest that if you were to do that,you should have money for an immediate rebuild already set aside. Goodluck, have fun and remember that it is fine to take small risks here and there to have fun, just keep a close eye on things and do it right and you shouldnt have too many problems.

i have a wideband i will be running all the time to keep an eye on things and won't be running 11psi for a while, and it would only be with a really good tune. just curious to see if our motor could take it. i would not push it past 11psi, that would be the absolute maximum...

96Saleen said:
along with water injection next week...

You planning on running a little bitof alcohol with that water? It will net you a little more power. Being that it evaporates at a lower temperature, it also cools better than water too while still acting as a fuel.

can u guys do me a huge favor? and if any of you guys have the time, maybe take a picture of what the whole kit came with? i bought my powerdyne charger kit used and it didnt come with everything!!!! and the powerdyne guys are useless, they say i have to buy everything!

clarkkent said:
can u guys do me a huge favor? and if any of you guys have the time, maybe take a picture of what the whole kit came with? i bought my powerdyne charger kit used and it didnt come with everything!!!! and the powerdyne guys are useless, they say i have to buy everything!

What do you think your missing?

Did you buy the kit from a board member? If you took a pic of what you got, I could tell you if you're missing anything.

But like Robert said, you can push it to 11 psi, but it will won't last forever. You might stop it one day and your car just locks up because you sling a rod through the block and your piston is in the oil pan. I've seen it happen, not fun. As for the water injection, I'd do water/methanol. Snow Performance makes a kit for 300 bucks that works just as good as an intercooler.

i bought it from a board member. (notfifteen). he's a cool guy and he gave me a great price so i didnt wanna hassle him for the rest. i'll take a picture in a few weeks, my family went out of the country with the digi camera.

i think im missing a "new harmonic ballancer".. cause the directions said "install new harmonic ballancer and i never got one.

You don't need a new one, you just have to take it off and ream it so the spacer will fit. You can do it yourself but a machine shop did mine and took 2 minutes, where it would take you an hour with a dremel to get all the paint out of the inside.

i will take a picture of my kit, luckily for you i haven't started to install anything yet, i am just at the point of taking the harmonic balancer off...

beau, i see what you mean about the radiator being in the way...i was going to try to leave it in, but no dice...i can't get the harmonic balancer puller in there with the radiator in the way. i have a friend coming over to help so i should be starting on the the actual install part of the project here in a little bit.

clarkkent, post up your email and i will send you some pictures tonight of the entire kit...

Back