Anything else to look forward to?

Tech By Trade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
Well, its been a little over a year with my sport trac, And I do like the truck a lot. The repairs though, do suck. I think I have taken care of most of the common repairs listed on the site as well as the regular maintenance. I was wondering if their is anything else I should be looking out for?
Here is all that I have taken care of so far,

Cracked Rad replaced, PCM flash upgrade, Wheel Bearing, Jammed up 6 disc changer replaced, alined and glued door seals.
as for maintenance, Regular Oil Changes, Transmission filter and fluid. Plugs and air filter (4.0L), Brake fluid change, and $1600 worth of tires. With just over 150k kms:ca: I am into it for about $2000 including tires, and another $500 in accessories, by doing the labour myself.

Any other expenses I can be looking forward to in the next year, or have I taken care of most of the weak points in this truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am guessing the 100,000 mile tune up is coming up. New spark plugs with their own ordeal.

Looks like you've taken care of most of the high points, including the plugs. From my experience with many different models of Fords, keep an eye on your ball joints. Those should be getting flaky around 150,000 km. And of course with your 4.0, pay attention to any noise coming from the front of the engine, especially the timing chain covers...

God damn it, No one told me about the thermostat housing. I have another coolant leak into the valley as of today. Unless I loosened something up when I changed the Rad, but I doubt it. There goes another 50 bucks!

I guess I might as well change the diffy fluids, and transfer case well I have it in the shop this weekend. Its gonna be a new truck made of new parts if this keeps up too much longer.

I just warmed it up and watched the small trickle run back from the bottom of the housing into the valley. Wonder if it is finally pressurizing properly due to the new rad and it found a new weak spot to escape from. Wonder whats next.

Last edited:

Oh, and a front drive shaft u-joint today.. what fun. This thing seems to have something new every week.

Now the quick connect on the transmission cooler in the replacement rad is leaking... WHEN WILL IT END!

This pile of **** is going to find itself on another used car lot before long if things don't start turning around!

Its a lemon alright.
Its a super slow leak, just damp around the fitting. Once my garage floor has cured I'm going to try and change the O-ring in the quick connect. If that fails it looks like I will be spending another 300 beans on a local rad. Its a super slow leak, just damp around the fitting.

I hope this is the end of it!

bad thing is it rides so smooth now and shifts nice right now...

Got the leak taken care of for now. I stopped by princess auto on the way home from work yesterday and picked up a set of dental picks and an o-ring set. I pulled the o-ring out of the cooler connection. Instead of using the princess auto set, I still had the old rad so I pulled the o-ring out of it and used it in the new rad. It fit a lot tighter. I did notice the lock on the quick connect was made of a metal that seems not to spring back like the oem lock in the quick connect. I ended up pulling the lock out and bending it so it will hold the hose tight. If I run into more problems I think I will take the lock out of the old one and throw it in the new rad.... Thats all for now, I hope she holds!

Tech I have my fingers crossed for you bud...

Yeah! The front passenger side started squeaking this weekend. Im betting I get to change the ball joints next.

It seems that most people have wheel bearing issues with these trucks. Can't believe I'm still on my original bearings. 107,000 miles and still running strong!

Actually I had a look last night. The squack is coming from the up and down motion of the front passenger side. I don't think it is the strut, because as it squacks, it seems to vibrate in the upper control arm bushings and the noise seems to be localized there. The boots on the ball joints seem alright. Not sure if the bushings can be change, lubricated some how, or if that whole arm needs to be replaced. Have to do a little research when I get a chance. Not too worried right at the moment.

edit:
That was quick, looks like I will just change the whole arm when I get around to it. Don't feel like getting the bushings pressed out.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372985

Edit, it was the lower ball joint. Got it swapped out in an hour or so. I did purchase an upper for cheap and its sitting in the shop waiting for the original to go.

Last edited:

Well, lets add another addition for the repair list. Had 3 out of 4 timing chain tensioners go back in November. Got the engine back together last weekend, going to drop it in tonight. 700cad in parts, another 150 for the timing tool, probably close to 300 in wrenches, lifts and other miscellaneous tools. Beats the 2k in labour plus the cost of a drop in, and gaskets I was quoted at a private shop. cheapest I could find was a ranger 4.0L for 1500. Wouldn't even want to guess what the local stealership would have charged. Lets just round it to another 5k with tax had it been done in a shop. Hopefully I don't have to come back and update this list again any time soon.

P.S. almost forgot the 250 I spent on Catalytic converters in October. I was quoted 1200 in parts alone from ford. another 2k after labour?

Well, either a stuck lifter on 2 now, or a burnt valve. I will try some seafoam but by looking into my crystal ball I am betting I will be pulling a head and spending more money this weekend. A Toyota Tacoma cant come quick enough. Also got a gas smell in the garage and I can hear an injector loosing pressure. Need to check the felpro orings I replaced earlier this week. What a pile of junk.

I've owned my Explorer Sport since new (2000) & have since replaced the rear leaf springs, shackles & shocks. The front ball joints, hub bearings & sway bar end links. Also the radiator started leaking this year so that was replaced with a new one. In 2013 I had a new complete exhaust system installed along with new plugs & wires. She's got 157K miles on her & still runs strong. Mobile 1 always. A/C still cold. Heat still hot. 4WD performs flawlessly. I can't complain. She's without a doubt the best daily driver I've had.
Sorry for your issues. That would try my patience for sure. Good luck, sir.

Brand new plug wire bit the dust last night. Core pulled out of the boot for some unknown reason. They were NGK not Champion either. I should call a priest for an Exorcism I think.

Blew an A O-ring seal on the #2 injector. Fixed that, replaced the plug wires. It got another set of new plugs. Its running right so far. Had a squeal from the alternator last night but it seems to be gone this morning. Hopefully this is the end of it. time to save up some cash for the difference on a slightly used Tacoma.

Yes, managed to overheat on my way out of town today. Looks like the Thermostat. Water is still good, but the top line was cool to the touch. oil is good, so I hope to hell nothing cracked or no gaskets blew. That would suck since I just finished putting that timing chain set in 2 months ago. What a pile of GARBAGE! Guess I will pull it apart tonight and swap it out once it cools off. Probably swap in a new rad cap too while I am at it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get this repaired this weekend? Whenever possible I try to use the fail-safe Thermostats that stick open. They cost a little more but sometimes cheap ends up expensive.

What size/PSI rad cap are you going to & from?

Back