Apple CarPlay over bluetooth? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Apple CarPlay over bluetooth?

Definitely wrong, Apple is not charging for CarPlay, BMW is charging for the service. Probably to have the software updated or because they can. Alpine makes a wireless CarPlay radio and the only fee you pay is the cost of the radio.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's all about how you want to distribute the costs... I'm pretty sure Apple charges BMW a separate licensing fee to grant wireless access to carplay. So BMW can give it away, they could charge it as an option 100% up front, or as a subscription. However definitely true that Apple doesn't force BMW to charge customers a sub fee.
Still wrong, being pretty sure about something you know nothing about is interesting. They made it available years ago and only a few manufacturers have used it. More are coming in the next couple of years but it has been a slow process. Any vehicle that has Bluetooth and wifi can have the software written to implement CarPlay, there are no hidden costs other than the manufacturers own. Apple doesn’t charge for things like this, only MFI or lightning cable licenses. Unless you have some actual proof, you shouldn’t spread false information.

.................................... Unless you have some actual proof, you shouldn’t spread false information.
The only statement of fact made was the last one about Apple not forcing BMW to charge customers a sub fee. The rest was all speculation on the member's part. There are numerous posts in this forum based on 'speculation'.

Peter

Has anyone had theirs glitch out every so often? Haven’t had mine plugged in for a while but I bet when my xm goes to full price I’ll cancel and go back to wireless CarPlay so it’s easier and faster to stream off my phone

Has anyone had theirs glitch out every so often?
Yeah. The dongle glitching out on Siri activation on any Ford with Sync 3 is a known issue. I gave mine to my wife and she’s using it trouble free in her Leaf. I’m keeping an eye peeled for a fix (other than rolling back the software and introducing other problems). Getting a 90° Lightning cable made plugging in tolerable for now.
1DCE0BA2-6BD0-415D-B871-6E6F6D54661F.jpeg

Yeah. The dongle glitching out on Siri activation on any Ford with Sync 3 is a known issue. I gave mine to my wife and she’s using it trouble free in her Leaf. I’m keeping an eye peeled for a fix (other than rolling back the software and introducing other problems). Getting a 90° Lightning cable made plugging in tolerable for now. View attachment 341651
Mine is glitching a lot. I even did another firmware update. Unit acts worse in my ram. ill have to try it again too get specifics but it would keep bouncing the phone connection.

Mine is glitching a lot. I even did another firmware update. Unit acts worse in my ram. ill have to try it again too get specifics but it would keep bouncing the phone connection.
Weird. My wife hasn’t said anything. Could be a byproduct of the newest iOS update. Always the downside of using products not blessed by Cupertino.

Do you think that using a USB Bluetooth dongle would work to accomplish the same thing?
I bought a wireless dongle( as you put it) off of Amazon and it allows me to use Apple CarPlay wirelessly because it is always plugged in. Just sad the amount of money we spent on our Explorers and don’t have wireless CarPlay from Ford. My brother has a 2020 Mazda 6 and it has wireless CarPlay. I hope they put out an update so we can use it wirelessly!

I bought a wireless dongle( as you put it) off of Amazon and it allows me to use Apple CarPlay wirelessly because it is always plugged in. Just sad the amount of money we spent on our Explorers and don’t have wireless CarPlay from Ford. My brother has a 2020 Mazda 6 and it has wireless CarPlay. I hope they put out an update so we can use it wirelessly!
The next gen of sync, which is in the f150 has the wireless carplay

It won’t be added. The hardware doesn’t support it. No Ford with Sync 3 has it. You can add it via a 3rd party dongle, although you may lose some functionality and it’s a little more laggy than even factory wireless CarPlay is on my Mach-E.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, sometimes when items are left plugged in it may affect the ability to remote start the vehicle. There have been a few posts on that.

Peter

It won’t be added. The hardware doesn’t support it. No Ford with Sync 3 has it. You can add it via a 3rd party dongle, although you may lose some functionality and it’s a little more laggy than even factory wireless CarPlay is on my Mach-E.

Infotainment has been my biggest and probably my only real disappointment with our ST. I really hoped Ford would have pushed some upgrades to the system, but from my perspective, it's no different than it was when I purchased the vehicle. I really dislike how they have buried the tone controls of their "high end" sound system. I shouldn't have to look at multiple screens to change Bass, Treble, etc.

The wasted screen space with the portrait display is shameful.

Back