• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Apten Flasher program(s) install

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
aldive said:
I do not think that it is a Flasher vs chip issue.
Well for me it is. I am trying to decide should I get the chip OR the flasher.

Not an easy decision just yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
MONMIX said:
Well for me it is. I am trying to decide should I get the chip OR the flasher.

Not an easy decision just yet.

I had the same delema' I choose the Flasher. And with the upcomming user adjustments, I feel that it is the best way to go.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Good answer.
Thanks,
Keep me / us posted as you continue to test the various programs.

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
This makes me want to buy that flipped '01 sport and convert mine over to OBD-II and OHC!!

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Al, you keep saying how great it is and each time you talk about the great features, I find out one more thing I am missing out on :banghead: . I am very jelous right now.

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
snocross1985 said:
Al, you keep saying how great it is and each time you talk about the great features, I find out one more thing I am missing out on :banghead: . I am very jelous right now.

But remember, who paid thousands less? and who's motor will run forever(no comment on the tranny)

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
IAmTodd said:
But remember, who paid thousands less? and who's motor will run forever(no comment on the tranny)

???????????huh????????????????

Expodriver

Reaction score
City, State
Carthage, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4.0SOHC 5-SPD AUTO
Al, Any figures yet?

Al, Have you had a chance to compare your chip vs programmer as far as highway miles are concerned? Is there much difference?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Expodriver said:
Al, Have you had a chance to compare your chip vs programmer as far as highway miles are concerned? Is there much difference?

Just gpt bacl from a thousand mile trip... take a look at the MPG data at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1009971#post1009971

Basically the mileage is comprab;e to the chip when using the Flasher's 93 program. I do prefer the Flasher since I can change programs ( my chip was a first generation Apten and did not have the program switching feature.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I am very impressed with the 87 program. The motor is much more peppy than stock and the shifts are great, mileage is almost as good as the 93 program... and the gas is mucho cheaper.

Oversquare

Reaction score
City, State
Wine Country
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 5.0 AWD
When will we find out about the new Flashers with the user-adjustable features?

-B

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Oversquare said:
When will we find out about the new Flashers with the user-adjustable features?

-B

The user adjustable features are available using SCT's Free software, Extreme Tune. It is available from SCT at http://www.sctflash.com/xtreme.php.

In addition to the software, you will need a special serial cable to connect the flasher to the PC. The cable is $75 and is available from a SCT dealer ( our sponsor dealers are BamaChips, http://www.bamachips.com/ or Hypnotic Illusions Automotive, http://www.hypillauto.com/. Further, it just so happens that I have a brand new cable for sale ( I don't need to have 2 of them ) - see http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125315&highlight=cable