ARB locker questions

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Well i found a killer deal on an 8.8 with 4.56's and an ARB locker. I know these are very good lockers but is there any drawbacks to them??? I know ill need the whole compressor setup but those are only a few hundred dollars. Any opinions?>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I plan to use arb front and rear when i do my sas. Reason #1 I have heard good things abought them, #2 selectable is the only way to go (opinion), #3 avalable for d80 and 9inch ford as my setup is probably going to be d80 rear and most likely d60 outers and True HI9 center (custom d609). I think Rick has arb's in his, and probably others do to. Good luck.:D

Ok im picking it up this weekend most likely. Im not really sure how to hook anything up as ive never dealt with anything like this....I will need to remove the axle shafts so i can swap out the drum brakes for my disc setup. Are the c-clips easily accessible?? Also where are some good places to mount the compressor assembly?

Cool:thumbsup: I have never taken axles out of an arb. On a standard set up you remove the diff cover and remove the center pin from the carrier, a small bolt holds it in (8mm). Once the pin is out slid the axles together >< and you can remove the c-clips from the axles. A word of caution turning the axles now would cause the side gear pinions (spiders) to fall out and if you dont have a knowledge of the reassembly process it may prove to be tricky. My suggestion is to pull the pin just far enough to move the axles and get the clips out. I usualy turn the pinion untill the pin rests against the housing at the top to wedge it in place. Mount the compressor where you have room I am not shure but they probably dont mix well with water. So higher is probably better. Just my opinion:confused:

Well im the proud owner of an 8.8 with 4.56's and an ARB. Trying to swap out the drums for my discs and having issues taking out the retaining bolts. They seem to be a hex setup but on of them is stripped a little and i really dont wanna mess it up anymore. Anyone with ARb experience know the size off the top of your head??

Looks like the one will take an EZ out to get ot out......

Back