Are inflatable seat belts a marketing gimmick? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are inflatable seat belts a marketing gimmick?

Let me tell you one thing. If you plan to have more than two car seats in the middle row, the inflatable seatbelts are a pain in the @ss. Probably the only thing I would change if I were to get another Explorer. The buckles are to big and not flexible making it nearly impossible to buckle all 3 kids...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gimmick.... as are AirBags.

If safety was really the over-riding concern, we'd have a roll cage and 6-point harnesses... and NO AIRBAGS.

Like I said before. Why would you use a seat belt when this vehicle has the latch system? Use it!!!!!

Not according to the owners manual I downloaded. Only the outboard positions had LATCH.

Can anyone who has received their Ex confirm?

Not all carseats can use latch without a base...for instance if you bought a used car seat that originally came with the base but you were not able to purchase the base as well then you would have to use a seat belt...in that case I'm not sure that the inflatable part would have much effect because from what I can tell it is just on the shoulder part of the belt which would not be threaded through the car seat...just thought I would throw that out there...also you can use the latch for the middle seat but you have to look at the guidelines listed in the manual for your carseat...this is what ford's manaul says...

The standardized spacing for LATCH lower anchors
is 11 inches (28 centimeters) center to center. Do not use
LATCH lower anchors for the center seating position unless the child
seat manufacturer’s instructions permit and specify using anchors
spaced at least as far apart as those in this vehicle.
The lower anchors at the center of the second row bench seat are
spaced 20.5 inches (52 centimeters) apart. The standardized spacing for
LATCH lower anchors is 11 inches (28 centimeters) center to center. A
child seat with rigid LATCH attachments cannot be installed at the
center seating position. LATCH compatible child seats (with attachments
on belt webbing) can only be used at this seating position provided that
the child seat manufacturer’s instructions permit use with the anchor
spacing stated. Do not attach a child seat to any lower anchor if an
adjacent child seat is attached to that anchor.

Do not get the inflatable seat belts if you plan to carry both car seats and people in the second row. Due to the ridged buckle receptor being mounted below the seat no one can sit in the left rear seat when you have a car seat in the middle. At the dealer look at the difference between the two left seat buckles. The non inflatable has 5 to 6 inches of slack which allows it to extend out from underneath a car seat placed in the middle position.

Gimmick.... as are AirBags.

If safety was really the over-riding concern, we'd have a roll cage and 6-point harnesses... and NO AIRBAGS.

Airbags aren't gimmicks, because they're not there to just make you feel safer... they actually do make you safer, and they absolutely save lives.

I don't think any of the manufacturers say that safety is the over-riding, primary concern. If it was, you're right, we'd all sacrifice comfort and convenience and strap into our vehicles like NASCAR drivers, with helmets, neck harnesses, 6 point belts, etc. (Which, in a way, I wouldn't mind, since it would make us all much safer.)

The problem is if auto manufacturers started doing that people would stop buying new cars because most people wouldn't be willing to give up that much convenience and comfort for the extra safety.

Though it might be nice to have those things available as an option... ;) I think computers will play a large role in preventing accidents in the first place though, in the coming years.

I had the opportunity to speak with one of the engineers on the inflatable seatbelt program.

He confirmed this option is NOT available to retrofit at a later date.

The reasons are because the seatbelt has two tensioners compared to the normal single tensioner. Also the seat is actually different as it has the "inflator" built in to it. Also the buckle is different. When the vehicle has airbag deployment and subsequent inflatable seatbelt deployment the entire seat must be replaced not just the belt assembly.

He mentioned that the plan now is to engineer the two tensioners into one smaller unit so it can be adapted into more Ford/Lincoln vehicles.

Also as BlwnSmoke stated, these cant deploy unless the front airbags are triggered.

He explained they actually used cadavers in testing not just test dummies. The cadaver would be simulating a person sleeping during impact and seatbelt airbag deployment. The subsequent injury reduction was significant. Hopefully this becomes standard equipment soon.

Ford is really leading the way in safety.

I wonder if it *is* possible to retrofit the belts... as long as the seats designed for the belts and the inner belt assembly (inside the pillar) are retrofitted as well?

Though it might be nice to have those things available as an option... ;) I think computers will play a large role in preventing accidents in the first place though, in the coming years.

Because, god forbid!, we actually hold people responsible for the way they drive!

Because, god forbid!, we actually hold people responsible for the way they drive!

Only... I don't want to be responsible (or at risk) for the way someone else drives. I can't stop someone else from running into me.

I originally thought your comment about airbags being a gimmick was sarcasm, I see now you were serious. I think you are poorly educated. You are welcome to install a roll cage in your car, wear a helmet and a harness, and remove your airbags, but the truth is, they can and do save lives in accidents. It's not a myth, it's been proven through scientific reconstruction of accidents in which airbags deployed, as well as multiple crash test suites that have been administered.

I can't control someone else's actions on the road, but I can provide comfort, and added safety through technology for my family and myself in the case that someone else's actions result in an accident involving my car. You also can't account for the unexpected, for example a wheel coming off of the car in front of you and causing you to need to swerve or react. You're implication that everyone driving responsibly would result in no accidents or events is ridiculous.

Does anyone know an Ex owner thats had the unfortunate situation of being in an accident that has triggered the Rear Inflatable belts?

If so, what did the passenger feel?

Back