Are mono leaf springs dangerous | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are mono leaf springs dangerous

RickOTR

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
Was reading an interesting article this morning concerning Mono Leaf Springs saying that they are dangerous. Needless to say, I had them on my Sport for 23 years before I replaced them with the old man emu springs due to sagging. Made a world of difference in ride quality and eliminated the nasty sagging well known to mono leafs. Question is, has anyone experienced the mono leafs breaking in two. Like to hear your thoughts on this one. Here's the article...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven’t, but after having a leaf in a pack crack in half, I don’t know if I would want to trust a mono.

Split monoleafs are the hot tip for leaf sprung drag cars.

If they were unsafe they wouldn't be running them on 200MPH cars.

When the main leaf of a multispring pack breaks the axle shifts unless it was built with a "military wrap".

ary-wrap_02a29a9d-2706-4668-b3b8-ae22cc3ecbe9_800x.jpg

This was just posted in our Facebook group a short time ago. Multi leaf pack with a broken main spring...

broken_spring.jpg

Except for the sagging, I never had a problem with my monoleafs. The ARB old man emu springs came with the "military wrap" style eye so I'm confident they will provide me with may thousands of miles of use.

No.

Back