Leaf spring options. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaf spring options.

TomCat_Ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Hey guys,

I will have about a week off in late April and I want to do some work on my Explorer. In addition to a new transfer case (or maybe just newer if I can find one w/ low miles), I want to do some suspension work. (I also want to do some minor body work and various other odds and ends as time permits.)

A little over 2 years ago, I took the extra leaves from a 4-door Explorer that I was parting out and added them to my Sport's original single leaf spring. This helped solve both the lean and rear sag. 2 years and 50,000 miles later, I think I'm starting to notice a bit of a sag again.

I would like to buy some new leaf springs for it. I don't plan on adding a lift, but I will want to install a 4-door leaf pack because I don't want to install another mono spring. What are my options? I have found this website... I'd be spending almost $400 shipped for new leaf springs. Is that a decent price, or should I look elsewhere?

http://www.generalspringkc.com/

Has anyone ordered from them before? Does anyone have any other suggestions as to sources for quality leaf springs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would look at lmctruck.com, they have the springs for $99.95 each.

As I sit at my desk--a copy of LMC's catalog nearby--I wonder how I didn't think to check the catalog! Duh! I will probably go with LMC; I was going to order a thing or two from them anyway.

As for the shocks, I don't really tow or haul with the Explorer (other than putting a couple of my kayaks on the roof, that is). I haven't decided which shocks I will be going with yet...I still have much research to do on that subject. I'm definitely interested in nitrogen charged shocks, and know a few folks who have had great luck with them on their pickups.

I installed the recommended Monroe Sensa-trac shocks and I like them very much. About $50 each.

I also added the Summit Racing add-a leafs to mine because I tow a 2000lb boat. Made it a little stiffer in the rear but the truck now always sits level!

So I did some measuring the other day and I guess it's not really sagging much at all. There is a slight difference, but I think that might be due to the fact that I have my sway bar up front disconnected? The links broke on me 6 months after replacing them...I picked up the parts (exchanged them, since they were only 6 months old!), but never reinstalled them; that will get done here in a few weeks.

Long story short, I won't be ordering any leaf springs.

I did, however, order some new shocks. After looking around and reading reviews, I went with the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks (regular up front, load sensing out back). I also have some of the other parts that I will be swapping out. The only thing left on my "must have" list is a transfer case. Other than that, I might do some appearance upgrades (e.g. headlights, grille, etc.)...but I haven't decided on those upgrades yet.

It has been a good year and a half since I have been able to spend some quality time with my Explorer (last time was in the fall of 09 when I cut out the old rockers and welded in some fresh metal). I might also do a little body work if time permits.

Back