Are Polyurethane Bushings Worth The Extra Cost? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are Polyurethane Bushings Worth The Extra Cost?

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
Since we are going to have the front end of my truck apart, and are going to be doing the radius arm bushings, I had a question for all you folks...are the polyurethane bushings worth the extra bit of cost to install, instead of the standard replacement ones?

We are getting a few bucks back on the taxes...if it ever gets here, so I was going to put a bit of extra cash into the truck repairs as I can afford. Am also considering new tires and if that happens I am thinking Revos may be the way to go, from the way folks talk about them...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

id say get them rock auto has them for like 32 bucks for thermo plastic bushings . you gonna pay that at the local parts counter for crappy rubber ones

If it is stock keep the rubber bushings. Polyurthane requires lubrication, rubber does not.

Rubber vs Poly Radius arm bushing thread. Also searching on "Poly" will also yield many hits on the subject.

I would go with a quality polyurethane bushing like Energy Suspension or Daystar. Unlike Rubber, Poly bushings are impervious to the elements and chemicals. In the past Poly has been given a bad rap due to Cheap poly in the marketplace. Cheap poly (ex: perfect circle) is VERY hard (imagine hockey puck hard) and will transmit a lot of road noise and vibration into the cabin. For this reason a lot of people will recommend OEM rubber bushings.. But IMO a Quality poly bushing is the best of both worlds... It will not deteriorate and break down like rubber, but is soft and pliable and offers a great ride quality...

I'd go poly. Better durability, better performance.

i have poly an they were cheaper then the stock rubber to replace. they are cheaper by 1/2 price.
when i did my front bushings i used wheel bearing grease an just packed it in there i dont have a squeak at all. the rear spring set came with teflon grease.
iv never have use polys before for myself, but now im going to use them more.

But poly bushings need to be lubed periodically, and rubber don't? What kind of grease do you use?

I've been replacing my front end parts with poly's and it's really tightened up the front end...then again the old stuff could have been really worn out.

Either way I still recommend the poly's:thumbsup:

But poly bushings need to be lubed periodically, and rubber don't? What kind of grease do you use?

I lubed my poly bushings once when they were installed (used lubed supplied in the kit). That was 4+ years ago and I haven't had any issues..

for my front strut rod bushings i used wheel bearing gease. when i did my rear shackles i used the teflon lube supplyed in the rear spring kit. its been about 6 months in salt/sand an brine an not 1 squeek yet.

How good are the Moog or TRW poly bushings?

For any kind of performance or hard use, the poly is what you want. It's much less expensive than rubber replacements, too, especially if you get a kit. They tend to outlast the rubber ones by quite a bit, especially on the much-needed-replacements for Radius Arm bushings.

Energy Suspension makes black, graphite-impregnated poly bushings that still need to be lubed so they don't squeak, but they don't squeak much compared to their non-graphite impregnated color counterparts. I'd go with those.

doesnt matter for radius arms bushings much (have used Moog to compare with), just make sure you buy that heat shield that covers the bushing so it doesnt burn up if you dont have one.

deffinity poly dude. i work at a ford dealership and the stock bushings are real ****ty. i got the polys in my eddie.

Back