Are the 4 vertical transmission crossmember bolts threaded or do they have a nut inside the frame? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are the 4 vertical transmission crossmember bolts threaded or do they have a nut inside the frame?

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
Mechanic snapped off all four of the vertical trans crossmember bolt heads and failed to tell me.

I noticed months later, he's an hour and a half away, and I don't want to go back to him.

I've never tackled a job like this before, but it'd help a lot to know, is the frame threaded, or do the bolts have a nut on them?

My thoughts are:
1. Drill them and tap them (if threaded frame)
2. PB blaster and hammer them out (if nut)

ANY and all advice is much appreciated. By the way I cross-posted to reddit, and there are some images. But I'm sure you know what it looks like. These bolts were made to snap from my understanding.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAd...3_explorer_four_trans_crossmember_bolt_heads/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not had this problem yet, so I don't know. But if you go to page 11, I think you'll find a couple of threads relating to this.

I have not had this problem yet, so I don't know. But if you go to page 11, I think you'll find a couple of threads relating to this.
Sorry, but what/ where is page eleven? I'm bracing myself for a stupid answer to a stupid question. I'm sorta new around here.

Edit: oh, litterally page 11 of this forum. Wow there are two posts about it on that page. Thanks! No idea how you knew they were on page 11, but I'll just go with it!

I remember seeing them come up not too long ago, I just went page by page until I found them. No problem.

You can use an air hammer to knock the nut out with broken bolt in it and feed new bolts down from the top. There's a youtube video on it I think.

Back