Are these the correct size rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are these the correct size rims?

These wheels have been on my wish list for some time. They are steel so they should be safe on my 1996 XLT V8.

crr-3905705_w.jpg

I'm trying to determine if the backspacing and width are close to the alloys installed on the 96 Explorers.

Here's the link for the specs on the Cragar wheel:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3905705/Application/?prefilter=1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally never have run those wheels but looking at the specs and in my Opinion you should be just fine with them.

There should not be a fitment issue, but $172 a piece for a steel wheel is forking ridiculous:eek:

There should not be a fitment issue, but $172 a piece for a steel wheel is forking ridiculous:eek:

X41

You can get a way nicer wheel for that price.

X41

You can get a way nicer wheel for that price.

For starters, I want steel rims so all I have to do is wax them to keep them from rusting. I've owned lots of polished alloys and it's a labor of love trying to keep them from tarnishing.

Second, I can't seem to find any alloys that do not exceed the weight limit of my Explorer.

For starters, I want steel rims so all I have to do is wax them to keep them from rusting. I've owned lots of polished alloys and it's a labor of love trying to keep them from tarnishing.

Second, I can't seem to find any alloys that do not exceed the weight limit of my Explorer.

Steel is going to rust no matter what just like aluminum is going to tarnish.

And what in the world do you mean that aluminum wheels exceed the weight limit of of your Explorer?:scratch: That's a new one.

you mean there is a weight limit on the wheels you can run on an explorer??

so are you saying these are going to be too heavy for my truck??

403916.jpg

you mean there is a weight limit on the wheels you can run on an explorer??

so are you saying these are going to be too heavy for my truck??

403916.jpg

Nice, someone is gong old school here :D:thumbsup:

re: that Cragar wheel...

It's a composite wheel. The "steel" part is only the outside rim. The center spoked portion is aluminum.

It is not a 100% steel wheel.

and imho, it's a VERY good looking wheel. I've not seen it on any Explorers to date, though.

re: that Cragar wheel...

It's a composite wheel. The "steel" part is only the outside rim. The center spoked portion is aluminum.

It is not a 100% steel wheel.

and imho, it's a VERY good looking wheel. I've not seen it on any Explorers to date, though.

That explains the cost. Still damn pricey for a 15x7 though. You can find all aluminum wheels for $100-115

I like the wheel but IMO it's not going to look good on an Explorer.

Steel is going to rust no matter what just like aluminum is going to tarnish.

And what in the world do you mean that aluminum wheels exceed the weight limit of of your Explorer?:scratch: That's a new one.

I had some chrome plated Superiors on my first car, a 1981 Honda Prelude.

81lude1.jpg

These rims never rusted. That was in the 1980s when the roads here in Tennessee were covered with salt half the winter. I kept them waxed religiously and after five years still never rusted. Sometimes the road salt would cause slight rust but a little bit of Turtle Wax chrome polish and rust remover would take it off.

As to the weight limit:

I was going to install some polished alumnium Weld brand wheels similiar in appearance and someone on this forum mentioned that these were street rod rims and to check the weight limit. Sure enough my Explorer meets the weight limit by less than 700 lbs. So that's pushing the limit.

Granted alloy is stronger than plain aluminum.

oh!
I get it now!
the rims may not be able to support the weight of the explorer. then I'm good to go then!

misctruckpics027.jpg

here is where my rims came from.

I had some chrome plated Superiors on my first car, a 1981 Honda Prelude.

81lude1.jpg

These rims never rusted. That was in the 1980s when the roads here in Tennessee were covered with salt half the winter. I kept them waxed religiously and after five years still never rusted. Sometimes the road salt would cause slight rust but a little bit of Turtle Wax chrome polish and rust remover would take it off.

As to the weight limit:

I was going to install some polished alumnium Weld brand wheels similiar in appearance and someone on this forum mentioned that these were street rod rims and to check the weight limit. Sure enough my Explorer meets the weight limit by less than 700 lbs. So that's pushing the limit.

Granted alloy is stronger than plain aluminum.

No you can't run a Weld, Rodlite, Drag Star and the like as well as Centerlines as they are a light weight wheel for street or drag use only. You can't even use them for a road course.

The chrome today is not near as durable as the 80's since the majority of wheels are now made in China. You might be o.k. since you live in Tennessee. I live in Kansas City and I guarantee a chrome steel wheel will not last one winter with out rusting.

oh!
I get it now!
the rims may not be able to support the weight of the explorer. then I'm good to go then!

misctruckpics027.jpg

here is where my rims came from.

You do know those wheels won't fit unless you use adapters?

yea!

I need rear adapters and when I put the Dana 44 up front it will have rotors off a bronco on it!
man! I wish i could stuff that pig under it now!

Since my Explorer is charcoal grey, I thought about going with a black/polished lip style rim. Like this one:

inovit-dtm-black.jpg

Trouble is I can't seem to find a style I like in a 15" wheel. Wheel manufacturers are going toward 17, 18+ inchers.

Going with a larger rim/lower profile tire might look nice on say my Subaru but on an SUV doesn't really look right in my opinion. I'm afraid I might get pulled over for being a suspected drug dealer.

Also if I go with a black rim, why not just paint the ones that came off the vehicle to begin with? You know if your going to pay bucks for a new set of rims, they might as well have some flash/bling to them. That's why I like the Cragar 390 Pro street rims.

The stock alloys are not ugly, they just look too generic since Ford put them on every Explorer made back in the mid 90s.

Back