ATTN: SOHC OWNERS HEADERS ARE HERE! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATTN: SOHC OWNERS HEADERS ARE HERE!

It is true that eliminating the front cats would take away needed back pressure. It would definitely hurt the bottom end. Something we do not want to do with the SOHC engine. It may be favorable with our supercharger, but that remains to be seen. We will find out soon enough. I have a Sport Trac customer that has both, he will be putting the supercharger on soon. Randon Tech makes a pipe for Sport Trac & some guys swear by it. I thought I would mention it as an "easy" way to mount up to the JBA Headers. The best way is to have it fabricated to the existing y-pipe/head pipes and leave the catalyst alone.

The cost depends on where you live. Out here in Ca. it might cost $100 - $200? on the high side. I would be more concerned about the quality of the job. I would serch out a real craftsman for this. We have a lot of "hack" muffler shops out here that would do a hack job for a cheap price.

As far as a true dual system, that would be tough. Space is a real problem. The gas tank and the spare tire make it almost impossible. Realistically, I could imagine a custom system that has a custom y-pipe and goes into a 2 1/2" or 3" pipe with a high performance Magnaflow Catlyst and a Magnaflow muffler. You could do dual pipes out the back from the muffler. But with all the bends and turns, it would not be the most efficient way to go. You also have exhaust pipes right close to your spare tire. If you really want to to see two pipes coming out the back, that is your option. In this this case, a large single pipe with mandrell bends is more efficient.

I would entertain the idea of a group buy on the JBA Headers. Say a minimum of five. Let me know what you think.

I agree that the V6 SOHC has a lot of potential. I have been drive the 02 Silver X and it is sweet!. The bottom end is awesome and it pulls hard all the way through. I' m also getting about 18 MPG's (combined, normal driving). This thing will also pull a 02 Explorer V8 4.6 with no problem. That is with no headers and stock injectors. I think it has more potential. We will find out. So will Matt!

By the way, we are taking deposits and pre-oders for the X-Charger kit. Just give me a call at 888-EXPLORER (888-397-5673) I must worn you, Black Magic gets it first!

Attachments

• x-charge install pic rz.jpg
    x-charge install pic rz.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 243

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The above picture was taken while we were installing the supercharger on a Ranger. The picture below was taken after we were done.

Attachments

• ranger rubber 2 web.jpg
    ranger rubber 2 web.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 238

Matt, there is a PM coming your way.

What kind of Deposit would be good that might be my best bet while i get the rest of the cash. Thanks i really want to build this motor. Oh and how much is the Charger total with shipping and handling if you know all of that.

Originally posted by JOHN V.
I have been drive the 02 Silver X and it is sweet!.
A little off topic but:
Amazing the pull of the 02'+ Explorers/Mountaineers have with the 4.6, people including my neighbor have cranked of mid 15's completley stock and now he's in the low 15's with only a dual exhaust and intake. Another member on here cranked off a 15.4 in his stock 4.6 Explorer. The 1st time I drove a 4.6 Mountaineer I could not believe how fast and powerful it was compared to our 5.0 Mountaineers we've had.

Back on topic:
Are you guys going to do anything performance wise with the 4.6 3rd gens? You should slap on the Kenne Bell twin-screw on yours, the 3rd gen 4.6 is seriously fast with it on, with plenty of room for tunning more power. I wonder if you could work a deal with KB?

Would you guys ever consider making headers for the 4.6? I'm guessing it wouldn't be cost effective for you, and I would need to get as close to LT's as I could, but thought I would just ask:) I'm still trying to work out some things to complete the swap I'm planning.

so this black magic company has the modified egr tube?!

Back