New 5.0L Headers are HERE! | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 5.0L Headers are HERE!

Basic physics: Mustangs that weigh 3500 pounds or so have different needs than a 4700+ pound Explorer.
Explorers(AWD) can take all the bottom end torque that you can make.
Mustangs are already spinning their tires with stock power.
The needed power bands are different. You should be trying to raise your power band. It would not be smart for an Explorer owner to soften the bottom end to gain top end. The stock exhaust is just fine in the Explorers for most people. You can spend $1000+ on the whole exhaust, and maybe gain 20-25HP. That's a ton of money for little gain. There are better ways to make more power.
If anyone wants a different sound, then they should change the muffler.
SECTION is planning to change to a supercharger. If it is the EE version, then it's only going to add about 80HP. He won't need a huge exhaust, bigger yes, but not huge. The equivalent of dual 2.5" pipes would be more than enough.
The PCM in the 2nd gen Explorers is better than the 94-95 Mustangs. It was designed later, for use with the distributorless system. If SECTIONS PCM is functioning properly, than there is no need to change it, upgrade it, or tweek it. The chips are designed to compensate for parts that are out of the normal parameters. His A/F ratio is way too lean, that points to the chip or the fuel system, assuming that everything else is okay.

This thead was about aftermarket headers for the Explorer. The BOTTOM line is that they have only 1.5" primaries, and they are extremely expensive. These headers would be fine for a stock 302, but anything bigger or more efficient needs bigger pipes.
Those people should use these 1.5" headers as prototypes, and build a set with 1.625" primaries. If you check around, you will find that the vast majority of headers for a 302 have 1.625" pipes, with a lot even larger.
;) Calm down, and think about what you say. Novices may take your words as gospel and apply them to other applications. Long tubes are much better than short tubes, when applied correctly.
CDW :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, theres a whole lot of technical jumbo on here alright. I was just curious about how the headers worked, but I skipped to the last page so I'm gonna have to do some more searching. As far as not listening to the mustang set ups I got some advice. my mustang has no torque. I run dual 2.5" pipes out of long tube headers into dual 3" mufflers then back to a 2.5" tailpipe. I can spin my tires from the get go but thats due to my stall converter. This is obviously not the setup for an explorer. now that is some good advice from a mustang guy :)
my car only weighs 3000 lbs and my ranger can almost outrun it at times (I hate moody carbs) my primaries are 1 5/8" and I'm going to a 1 3/4" , but thats when I switch to a 351, a 347 will need the same thing if i go that route, but I'm looking towards a 408 stroker eventually, possibly twin turbo like the 69 camaro I saw at hot august nights, then I'm goin completly custom headers and who knows what I'll end up with.

mustang or explorer a 347 is not short on torque with a decent head like a gt-40p or edlebrock performer, even the performer rpm can make good torque on a engine with a few more cubes. if your serious about going to a supercharger then you'll get the power and torque your looking for almost regardless, you'll have to put in the dyno time to fine tune it, and you'll be surprised just how much more you'll get, but you'll break 400hp easy with a supercharged 347, set a hp goal and look at combo's you could make it with. as far as the exaust goes, yeah the long tubes make more, sometimes only a little more sometimes a lot more depending on the combo, but you'll have excess to play around with and I'd be looking towards upgrading your tranny at this point anyway and just putting in whatever header and exhaust fits and gets the job done, single 2.5" to 3" should flow enough for a supercharged application.

I'll admit I'm not an expert but send me some specs on what you want to do and I'll plug it into my flow calculator and try to get you back some specs on what it says as far as flow needs.

you could even do it all natural with a performer rpm complete setup and still keep your torque if you go to the stroker, I didn't read enough to know what you want I just remember that you wanted 350hp to 450hp at one time and I think your goal in that standard is well within reach if I understand what you want to do correctly. Good luck with your project and just so you know I envy you ;)

Wow, still no pics installed on the stock vehicle. I'm very interested in the heat they produce, and any long-term effects it might have on the nearby parts in the engine bay.

-B

I have an install DVD done on a stock Explorer!! I'll convert it to .wmv tonight and post it right here ----------------------------------> X. :cool:

Looks like they dropped the price 100 bucks to $689. What kind of exhaust do they have on this test machine?

hsmcclanahan said:
Looks like they dropped the price 100 bucks to $689. What kind of exhaust do they have on this test machine?

Towards the begining of October, and with Rick's approval, I am hoping to get a group buy together of about 12-20 people, with a price much lower than the $689 (that the explorer forumers could have always purchased them for). :D

Key me in on the group buy. The 1.5" is small for me, but it may be what I need to get buy until I actually do mine.

Todd
tmsoko@comcast.net

Say Todd, what do you think of the Zexel Torsen differential? Did you notice how heavy it was before you put it in? I love mine, and a friend of mine wants one for his dirt track car. Did you notice that when one wheels is turned, that the other spins in the opposite direction. It would pass a post race inspection for classes that ban locking rears.
DW

I love the Torsen, but I am a little fearful of blowing it, as I heard they are not great for high torque drag racing. Aside fromthat, It is great. I swapped an entire FX4 level II Ranger axle in, so I have no idea of its weight, but I would guess similar to other LSDs.

I bought mine for $390, and its extremely heavy. It's a big ball of gears, probably weighing 20 pounds more than a traction lock. I have two, but I'm not pushing them hard. I just wanted something that I would never have to rebuild. I've killed a traction lock in six months before. Best of luck,
Don W :cool:

Group Buy

im in for the group buy, any idea when we could do that, and how much it would cost?

also i am looking for advice on where to start with my stock 5.0 any thoughts?

this would be my first post in here also so hi everyone

FordFueled17 said:
im in for the group buy, any idea when we could do that, and how much it would cost?

also i am looking for advice on where to start with my stock 5.0 any thoughts?

this would be my first post in here also so hi everyone

We should know something probably by the 4th or so.

As for your 5.0L.. I'd go with intake, exhaust, chip to start out with.

Then maybe some headers, MAF, injectors, etc. :burnout:

WELCOME! :D

thanks section i have read alot of your posts and your x is quite hot.

do you have any of your other sets of wheels/tires that you would be interested in getting rid of

Is group buy still going down?

I wonder if the headers can be had uncoated? I have a close source of very high quality coating. A local drag racer had some Hooker headers stripped, and recoated. The original coating looked cooked quickly, and this companies coating looks exactly like new after a season of racing. This friend of mine suggests that it is better than Jet Hot, and the company does all kinds of coatings; Powder coating, exhaust, engine components, etc. I am planning on having custom tailpipes, front pipes, and crossovers built and coated.
Keep the interest, and Bob, can you look at making tri-y headers with 1.625" primaries and lower collectors. Custom mid pipes would be worth the trouble, 2.5" pipes with two cats. DW

I agree with te longer length headers, but tri-y's are garbage. True long tube (~34") headers are the way to go for our torque hungry heavy weights. Would love to see 1 5/8 or 1 3/4".

Holy Sht! ^^^THIS GUY^^^ ... has no idea what he's talking about. Ignore his statement of Tri-Y's and long tube headers. Anybody with common sense and automotive experience should know he's completely backwards.

-B

I have had both tri-y headers and long tubes. No appreciable difference on the engine they were on.

I have also read extensively about how to custom make headers. Check out headers by ed sometime. See what he has to say about the tri-y design. True tuned equal length headers are far superior to tri-y headers.

Since I have no idea what I am talking about, please enlighten me with their benefits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The next time you're around a disassembled NASCAR Nextel Cup car, take a look at they style of headers they're using. It's essentially a long-tube tri-y design.

Take a look at the work of Jack Burns, of Burns Stainless. His headers make it onto many of the NASCAR Cup cars, as well as the winning Pro Stock cars. His tri-Y designs are dyno proven on natrually aspirated engines that make more than 100% VE (Volumetric Efficiency).

Headers are like cams to "car guys" - while bigger may be impressive, it is rarely better. Many people use cam's that are too large, and headers that have too large of primaries, with too large of collectors, with too long of runners.

I don't suggest running the stock manifolds - but take a look at the aftermarket manifolds that companies like Sanderson have to offer. Usually they're quite applicable for street vehicles, and have less fitting issues and wear better.

I do plan on buying a set of TorqueMonster Headers. I'm interested in their clearances and construction. But most importantly, the flow numbers on a flow bench, and how they will apply to our street-driven mild motors.

-B

Back