New 5.0L Headers are HERE! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 5.0L Headers are HERE!

H pipe= 2 pipes that run side by side with one pipe connecting the 2 usualy exactly across making an H

An X has the 2 pipes curving into each other, touching, then going apart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But what's the benefits of each?

Section I do have the 3" flowmaster cat back. I am going to take some video of my truck this weekend. If I send you the file do you think you could edit it and make it look all pretty.

rydinhigh said:
Section I do have the 3" flowmaster cat back. I am going to take some video of my truck this weekend. If I send you the file do you think you could edit it and make it look all pretty.

We should use that video camera and tape us racing when I come up there. I'm really curious to figure out how far ahead you will be. I wish i had a camera like that because I would send section one of my true duals but i dont

Sounds like a great idea boomin. I know section has wanted a video of mine for a while now so I will make one for him, then when you come up we can make another one.

Sorry to interupt. The difference between the X and H pipe? The X pipe is actually shaped like an X. When the exhaust crosses, it FINDS the fastest way out. This application is great for forced induction cars because it lowers back pressure and makes the vehicle feel almost as if it was free flowing. The H pipe (also shaped like an H) evens out the pressure between the dual exhaust. If one has even the slightest difference, the H will allow the exhaust to "crossover". This is good for motors that don't want to lose torque but retain the better flow. I hope this helps a little. I had a Mustang that ran 10.56 at 144mph. The difference between the X and H pipe was only 7hp on a supercharged nitrous 306.

rydinhigh said:
Sounds like a great idea boomin. I know section has wanted a video of mine for a while now so I will make one for him, then when you come up we can make another one.

Yeah, you two get some videos and send 'em over. I'll put some Enya background music on them and host them. :chug: Okay, maybe not Enya.

section525 AT explorerforum.com.

plrs x45 - Sounds like I should run a custom H pipe over an X pipe, right? Thanks for the lesson!

I just happen to have an Explorer.... )( pipe laying around. This is what I was thinking about doing:

Also, I have a tube bender and I have mad skillz... is this something I could totally replicate instead of altering this one?

Attachments

• hpipe.jpg
    hpipe.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 619

Only do this H-pipe idea if you plan on running 2 seperate mufflers....

So if I was to only have a single muffler.. I shouldn't worry about connecting the two pipes before the muffler? Just remove two of the cats and slip in hi-flows?

Exactly.

ok well maybe you can help me.... I have FMS headers and true dual flowmart 40 exhaust with 2.5'' pipes. I am going to delete the last 2 cats and put in high flows for the first two. In the future I plan on being EE S/C so I want the full potential out of it. Should I stay true duals, X pipe or H pipe?

Section and Boomin, for a custom exhaust system, I would reverse your choice of cats to "delete." The front doesn't have much room for cats, and all hi-flow ones are straight in/out. They'd drop in where the rears are. However, keep the front O2s in the same position in the pipes. The rears can go anywhere after the cats, or be delted with an O2 simulator.

Also, I'd keep the front downpipe sections seperate, I had to remove mine and if they were one peice it would have been insane, if not impossible.

Just my opinion, and how I plan on doing it :)

V8BoatBuilder said:
Also, I'd keep the front downpipe sections seperate, I had to remove mine and if they were one peice it would have been insane, if not impossible.

Mine is all one peice :( They chaged them in late 98

What size exhaust tubing should I make this out of? 2 1/4", 2 1/2", 3"?? :D Lookin at cats right now.

2.5 and go with a magnaflow cat. I have heard nothign but good things about them.

I have also heard good things about "Catco" cats.

From what I've learned, if the 5.0 engine is NA, I would say dual 2 1/4 system. If it's forced induction, then 2 1/2 duals.

If the pipes are too big, then the exhaust gasses will loose velocity as well as loose backpressue.

stock pipe is 2.5 i beleive until where the muffler is

boominXplorer said:
stock pipe is 2.5 i beleive until where the muffler is

Ok... I would NOT go smaller than stock!! my suggestions are just what I've read on the board for cat-backs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You gotta get duals. Going with a single pipe is like drinking a wine cooler, Gay. :p

Back