New 5.0L Headers are HERE! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 5.0L Headers are HERE!

SLL4 is what I have, so you are welcome to try it if you want. But you should be making more power than that. I just replaced a nonchipped PCM in a 98 Ranger because it was giving the wrong a/f readings. After I got a new PCM in it, you could tell the difference. Then I had Brian H. do a chip for it.

If your charts are the same for both, my opinion is it is something in the chip or the PCM. If you take the chip out, does the engine run any different as far as idle, pickup, and full power? If it runs the same, then that will definitely point to the PCM. Even with a blown head gasket, I can tell the difference if I pull the chip out.

Who did the chip?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kind of off topic, but.....would a set of the Ranger V8 swap headers fit the Explorers? L&L sells a very nice set of long tubes for the Ranger that are extreme quality but a few hundred less than these. They aren't a direct bolt up so you would probably spend the money you saved on reworking the rest of the system. But the L&L's don't have the clearance and spark plug wire issues I see here....at least compared to pics I have seen of them on Rangers.

CobraXP said:
SLL4 is what I have, so you are welcome to try it if you want. But you should be making more power than that. I just replaced a nonchipped PCM in a 98 Ranger because it was giving the wrong a/f readings. After I got a new PCM in it, you could tell the difference. Then I had Brian H. do a chip for it.

If your charts are the same for both, my opinion is it is something in the chip or the PCM. If you take the chip out, does the engine run any different as far as idle, pickup, and full power? If it runs the same, then that will definitely point to the PCM. Even with a blown head gasket, I can tell the difference if I pull the chip out.

Who did the chip?

Brian did my chip as well. Maybe I'll pull the chip out tonight and see if I can tell a difference. My problem is that I had no 'before and after' to go off of when I installed the chip. I couldn't say, "oh yeah baby, this is much faster now," because I did the cam and rockers and chip all at once.

Plus I'll look at my chip instructions and make sure that the middle position is infact the high performance mode.

LOL, you've got it on the stock setting. :D

And no, the ranger swap headers wont work on the 2nd gen X's.

james t said:
LOL, you've got it on the stock setting. :D

And no, the ranger swap headers wont work on the 2nd gen X's.

Holy mother of fawk don't tell me that. :banghead:

section525 said:
Holy mother of fawk don't tell me that. :banghead:

Oh.... :mattmoon: I'm laughing so hard I have tears.... :monkey:

Is your chip a flipchip? I thought you had a standard chip? Make sure the chip connections are making contact to the PCM board also.

*******.. :p

Unless my instructions are wrong...

Attachments

• chip.jpg
    chip.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 329

I have 92 and 87 performance modes, and the stock mode.

Sooooooooo.....

what was it on?

Straight up! Performance 1. 92 octane foot to the floor mode.

I don't know why that was so funny to me... I'm still laughing.... :chug:

Seems like something I would do I guess. A flip chip won't help me - I've got to run 91+.... :fire:

Does it do anything different if you run it and change settings? If not - either the chip isn't touching the board, or the PCM is bad.

CobraXP said:
I don't know why that was so funny to me... I'm still laughing.... :chug:

Seems like something I would do I guess. A flip chip won't help me - I've got to run 91+.... :fire:

Does it do anything different if you run it and change settings? If not - either the chip isn't touching the board, or the PCM is bad.

I'll find out. I haven't really ran it on anything but 92. I'll pay the extra $2.00 at the pump for the good stuff. :D

And where the hell is jamest now?! :p

I 2nd the laughter!! I just busted up reading this!

Nitrous SSC said:
I 2nd the laughter!! I just busted up reading this!

Buuut it was onn the riiight mode! :smoke: :p

Scary thoughts, but have patience, it will work out.
SECTION, your power is probably close(150HP) at 3500RPM, but your not gaining enough above that. A/F ratios around 13.5/1 will give best power, but above that you lose power. Most people shoot for 11:1 to 13:1 for safety.
If you have not yet done your exhaust, and aren't going radical, try 2.25" tailpipes left and right. The 2.25" pipe will be easier to route around the spare and fuel lines. The difference versus 2.5" tailpipes will be virtually unnoticeable on a normally aspirated 302.
Also, the question about lifter preload was excellent. I believe you should probably reset yours.
The preload should be .030-.070. these are Cam expert recommendations, not a Ford manual. I have installed several sets, and usually 3/4 of a turn beyond zero gets you past .030. Zero preload is not good, and past about .050 is too much. Going too far in either direction hurts power, one will limit RPM's, and one will hurt longevity.
DW :chug:

CDW6212R said:
Scary thoughts, but have patience, it will work out.
SECTION, your power is probably close(150HP) at 3500RPM, but your not gaining enough above that. A/F ratios around 13.5/1 will give best power, but above that you lose power. Most people shoot for 11:1 to 13:1 for safety.
If you have not yet done your exhaust, and aren't going radical, try 2.25" tailpipes left and right. The 2.25" pipe will be easier to route around the spare and fuel lines. The difference versus 2.5" tailpipes will be virtually unnoticeable on a normally aspirated 302.
Also, the question about lifter preload was excellent. I believe you should probably reset yours.
The preload should be .030-.070. these are Cam expert recommendations, not a Ford manual. I have installed several sets, and usually 3/4 of a turn beyond zero gets you past .030. Zero preload is not good, and past about .050 is too much. Going too far in either direction hurts power, one will limit RPM's, and one will hurt longevity.
DW :chug:

I was planning on doing a single 3" out. Would that be good you think? As far as zero lash... that's what I did. Zero lash, then tightened to 17 ft lbs, and it should have been about 3/4 of a turn (said the instructions). What do you think?

rydinhigh said:
Section get the 3" out with a flowmaster 40 series.

Is that what you have? I'm really wanting another Magnaflow, but my dyno guy is trying to talk me into a Spintech. Ever heard of it? Guess a lot of Lightning guys are running them. :confused:

One of my friends has a Dr Gas X pipe (3") and a 3" spintech catback. Engine setup is identical to mine only he's got a blueprinted/0 ballanced 347 under it all. He runs low 12's at the track on 225's!! Car sounds amazing. Its very quiet like mine but once you get on it, he makes my car sound like a honda.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt.. whats the difference between H and X pipes? Always wondered. :D

Back