• Register Today It's free!

Auto light system

tjhott

Reaction score
City, State
Lehighton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Ok , So when i turn off the auto light system on the mirror, All i get out of my regular light switch is headlamps. No parking lights, fog lamp's or dash lights. If i turn the auto lamp on a bit everything comes on including the headlight's even though the main headlight switch is off. Can someone try to help me figure out what is going on here? I really don't have the money or time to take this to a shop. :)

Considering your parking lights come on with the autolamps that rules out that the relay is not working. Your lighting system is working fine. The problem probably lays with the headlight switch itself. I would pull the switch out and see if you can jump wire the wire that goes to the relay for the parking lights. If it works, you probably have a bad switch.

Have you tried wiggling and thumping the switch in the parking light position? Perhaps since you have autolamps, the switch doesn't get used enough to keep the contacts clean inside the switch. Try turning them on and off several times to see if that fixes your problem.

Since I installed autolamps in my truck I never use the switch on the dashboard anymore. It is probably a good thing to use it once in a while to keep things moving and working properly.

Back