• Register Today It's free!

Auto To Manual Swap Problems

91EX4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB & '96 xlt
Let me start off by saying I have a 1991 explorer 4x4 EB that I am working on swapping from auto to manual. The transmission I will be using is out of a 1991 ranger with a 2.9l 4x4, and it is the mazda 5 speed. I am using the 4.0 flywheel and clutch. The slave is from the 2.9l(i called the auto parts store and asked if they are the same part as a 4.0l and they are) or possibly from a 4cyl ranger(i think it is also the same, but i will have to check)

The problem is when we put it in the transmission gets about 1/4" from the engine and the slave cylinder is bottomed out, if we try and pull it together using the bolts it will put the engine into a bind. So my question is what are we doing wrong? Is there some sort of spacer that we need to use this transmission ? I think my friend is using a 4 cylinder slave in his 2.9 ranger, so if thats true they should all be the same. The pilot bearing is for a 4.0 also, but maybe it started to get pushed out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you may not have the input shaft on the trans seated fully??

You should be using the slave cylidner that matches your master cylinder

Are you 100% it is the Mazda 5 speed?

We are going to take the trans and the flywheel/clutch back off to take some measurements. I know that we have the splines lined up because when we turn the crank the output shaft turns, and we should have the input shaft inside the pilot bearing with 1/4" gap left. I am sure the transmission is a mazda, i searched on TRS, and it doesnt have a "pan", the shift handle is black from the factory, and the drain plug is magnetic which I think were the things they said to look for.

somethings fishy :) Did you seat the throw out bearing on top of the slave cyl fully?

We made sure to seat the throw out bearing fully on the slave. Actually me and my buddy had put the transmission in before with the 2.9l clutch and flywheel but it wouldnt shift(got jammed into 2 gears later to find out). But when we pulled it back out we found that the end of the slave cylinder got messed up(the actual slave cylinder not the throw out bearing) , and when we put the tranny in we had to pull it together.

My friend looked at the transmission again and said that he found the problem. He said that my pressure plate is rubbing on the reinforcement ribs on the bellhousing. I looked on TRS and found they had a 2.9l-4.0l clutch swap and there is nothing in there about this kind of problem.

wow sounds like in 91 they used a diff 5 speed behind the 2.9L then they did behind the 4.0L?
From what I have seen they are all the same bellhousing size
I ran a 88 2.9L mitsubishi 5 speed behind a 93 4.0, no issues
I have seen the 2.9L Mazda behind a turbo charged 91 4.0L, no issues

sorry to tell you this, but my friends 88 ranger's clutch was way smaller than my 93 clutch, at least that's what he said. (we both did clutch jobs at the same time)so, i'd imagine that your clutch may be too big for your trans. i've also done the auto to manual swap in my 93xlt. i used everything 93xlt. (clutch, slave, flywheel, trans). but i bought everything new except trans. ran about $500 including the $100 used trans (U wrench It junkyard)

Well I origonally put the 2.9 clutch in but for some reason it didnt work. And I was searching on the ranger station and found this http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May06/40_clutch_swap.htm
I am wondering if i am having this issue since most of the parts I bought is aftermarket? My friend thinks that we will be able to make the 4.0 clutch work.

Little update.. I got a Luk 4.0 clutch kit(with slave cylinder) for my explorer aswell as a factory 4.0 flywheel. The transmission is from a 90' ranger with a 2.9l. I am still having the same issue, i get the transmission about 1/4" away and it starts binding, and the engine cant be turned over by the crank. We ground the bellhousing down a little where it was rubbing and we are still having the same issue :( So the only things i can think of are 1. The transmission is an earlier casting since it was from a 90' it may not have the clearence for the 4.0 clutch. 2. The input shafts are different lengths between the 2.9 and the 4.0. So i guess the next step is to get a transmission for a 4.0 explorer... :confused:

Back