• Register Today It's free!

auto. transmissions vs. manual

4x4rob

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT (Lo-HP edition)
Everything else being equal (gears, engine, 4x4, etc), why do the manual transmission explorers feel so weak compared to the automatic transmission explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Huh?? The 5 speed feels better to me. I'm sorry I got an auto on my 2nd X.

Because you cant shift :p

I cant see the auto feeling any more powerfull than a 5 speed.. if anything the 5 speed should be better no?

An auto trans has different gear ratios (final ratios) than a manual, at differnet gear speeds.

Aloha, Mark

Yes, in the sales brochure for my '92, the horsepower rating for the manual version is 145 hp. For the automatic its 155 hp. The final drive ratio on manuals from that vintage was 3.27. I think the automatics were 3.55.

I really like my manual Explorer, but my next Explorer will have to be an automatic, 'cause they don't make 'em like that anymore. I would think that a 5-speed manual would be superior to a 4-speed auto, but maybe the 5-speed auto is just as good as the manual, and more convenient, but not as much fun.

Bob

Under what conditions?? At very slow speeds, automotive torque converters exhibit a feature that is called torque multiplication. Basically, the torque applied to the input shaft of the transmission can be 2-2.5 times the torque supplied by the engine. However, couple torque multiplication with the higher 1st gear gear ratio, and I don't know that it would "feel" very different.

Perhaps this discussion would benefit from a good explanation of what you mean by "feels weaker"

Everything equal gears and all a manual will be better generally. Off the line since you have to clutch the automatic will get going a little faster (but since the transmission slips less power will be getting to the wheels) once you hit 3rd gear the manual should over take the automatic.

Bwana Bob said:
Yes, in the sales brochure for my '92, the horsepower rating for the manual version is 145 hp. For the automatic its 155 hp. The final drive ratio on manuals from that vintage was 3.27. I think the automatics were 3.55.

I really like my manual Explorer, but my next Explorer will have to be an automatic, 'cause they don't make 'em like that anymore. I would think that a 5-speed manual would be superior to a 4-speed auto, but maybe the 5-speed auto is just as good as the manual, and more convenient, but not as much fun.

Bob
The gear ratio you state is the rear end gearing. It was either 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, or 3.73. The higher you had the faster the truck felt. Most 91-92's came with 3.55's. Most 93-94's came with 3.27. Most EB & towing package equip'd came with 3.73.
For the power, there was a difference in 91-92. After 92 all had the higher HP
I've owned both & the 5 speed with the same 3.27 gearing was much more responsive the the A4LD is.

Is your manual slipping?

My explorer on 31"s, manual tranny and 3.27's will throw me back in the seat harder than my f150 with the 4.6v8. I hate auto's, I can make a manual sing though :D

I had both, and my manual truck is much quicker than the auto, with 3.55 opens v. 3.73 LS.

thanks for all the info.

Mine must have been one of those special order "low HP" Xploders.

4x4rob said:
Mine must have been one of those special order "low HP" Xploders.
Well then hey, I bought the same Explorer as you :D

ive personaly drove both mine is a stick and the one for my job is auto and the auto was really gutless compaired to my manual same freeway hills and all the manual to me has more power.

Back