• Register Today It's free!

Aviator owners - need a favor

QwikEVO

Reaction score
City, State
New Baden, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Can any of you post a photo of your hood struts?

I would very much like to put struts on my Explorer ST, since Ford decided their $55K+ SUV doesn't need any.

I'd just like to see where they're mounted/attached to. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would very much like to put struts on my Explorer ST, since Ford decided their $55K+ SUV doesn't need any.

It's actually a $34k vehicle

Just wondering how often are people opening their hoods to where it makes a difference? However, I guess if you add them to the explorer you have a backup for when they go bad.

Just wondering how often are people opening their hoods to where it makes a difference? However, I guess if you add them to the explorer you have a backup for when they go bad.

Well I have opened mine 3 times besides the initial let's look at the engine. Oil change, jlt install, adding windshield fluid.. next time will be for the next oil change. Sure would be nice but nothing I am concerned with or spend money to attempt to add.

It's actually a $34k vehicle
You can get an ST for $34K?

Well I have opened mine 3 times besides the initial let's look at the engine. Oil change, jlt install, adding windshield fluid.. next time will be for the next oil change. Sure would be nice but nothing I am concerned with or spend money to attempt to add.

Have you ever had a vehicle with hood struts? If not, you get spoiled by not having to raise and lower a prop rod. Sure it may not seem like a big deal, but there’s cars well under the Explorer’s price point with them, and the Aviator has them...so why not the Explorer? They’re the same vehicle with some body panel differences. It’s a little bit of “luxury” I’ve come to expect from automakers, and if you’re spending the money, why shouldn’t you expect a little extra?

Have you ever had a vehicle with hood struts? If not, you get spoiled by not having to raise and lower a prop rod. Sure it may not seem like a big deal, but there’s cars well under the Explorer’s price point with them, and the Aviator has them...so why not the Explorer? They’re the same vehicle with some body panel differences. It’s a little bit of “luxury” I’ve come to expect from automakers, and if you’re spending the money, why shouldn’t you expect a little extra?

Got an '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the hood struts. They require replacement at what seems like unrealistic timed intervals and they are not cheap.

Even my 2014 $64,000 VW Touareg had the rod to hold the hood open So finding a rod on my 2018 Explorer didn't surprise me at all. Look at all the money you'll save by not having gas struts under the hood to replace all the time.

Got an '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the hood struts. They require replacement at what seems like unrealistic timed intervals and they are not cheap.

Even my 2014 $64,000 VW Touareg had the strut to hold the hood open So finding one on my 2018 Explorer didn't surprise me at all. Look at all the money you'll save by not having gas struts under the hood to replace all the time.

As previously asked, just how many times are you going to open your hood?

I mean, these aren’t being used as much as say...hatch struts.

But thankfully instead of wasting money, I’m wasting time by engaging in wars of words with you fine fellows...as I’m no further along in my request than when I started.

But thankfully instead of wasting money, I’m wasting time by engaging in wars of words with you fine fellows...as I’m no further along in my request than when I started.

Sorry you're offended but my Aviator is still in a parking lot in Chicago making pictures unrealistic. I was just trying to suggest that you not do it as I had to replace the Jeep's struts two months ago, again.....

Here are some of mine. The lower part is not readily visible. It seems to be attached to a part of the fender. Hope they help.

Peter

hood strut.jpg

hood strut3.jpg

hood strut2.jpg

Here are some of mine. The lower part is not readily visible. It seems to be attached to a part of the fender.

thanks for the pictures. Looks like there’s sheet metal with the “nubs” missing on my Explorer that would make this impossible. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

An ST is just a regular base model for under $34k with extras.. Hood struts would not come on a higher trim where lower ones dont. They would either have it or it doesnt which is why it has no bearing on the price, be it a Base, XLT, Limited, ST or Platinum.

Yes my f350 has gas shocks for the hood and my Audi did as well. Frankly it does not do much for me as I dont go under the hood often. I just dont see the big deal about it not having them.

It's like saying my $70k Platinum F350 doesnt have them.. well that is no different then a $35k XL trim truck.

Redline Tuning is releasing a kit at the end of the first quarter 2020.

thanks for the pictures. Looks like there’s sheet metal with the “nubs” missing on my Explorer that would make this impossible. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
This is what they looked like installed on the 5th gen. Check out pages 7 & 9. Hood Struts ??

Peter

Don't you just love when you ask a question and all the answers you get are more just rabbit holes about how wrong you are to have the question then answers to the question.
If I had an Aviator, I'd send you pics.

Had my Excursion hatch not stay up and went to replace the struts. Did not realize it only had one bad strut until I was holding it up and my buddy popped the first strut off that happened to be the one good one and boy did that get heavy real fast.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back