AWD/4WD Available through X-Plan | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD/4WD Available through X-Plan

Thanks for all the information. Since it looks like dealer allocation (and not x-plan) is the issue with long delayed orders, does anyone have any insight on how to find out whether a dealer has a good allocation? If not, I assume I would be safer (allocation wise) driving a little bit farther from my house and ordering from the local "volume leader" in my area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just placed my X-Plan order at Ken Grody Ford in Orange County (1% less sales tax than LA). Sterling Grey 4WD LTD with rapid spec 301A and second row console and bucket seats. I wanted to go in to the dealership to sign and place a deposit but the salesman said no need for any paperwork or deposit, that the order would be placed and the car would be in my name when it came in and all I would need would be the X-Plan pin and proof of employment.

He told me the order should be fulfilled in 5-6 weeks and there was no need for me to waste time driving out to the dealership (picked the big volume dealer a little far from where I live) until the Explorer was delivered. After I said I had heard about long delays, he said it was always possible but that he had not seen any significant delays lately. Now I, like many here, am in waiting mode and keeping my fingers crossed.

I might still go down to the dealer or ask for some kind of written confirmation as I can't believe that they would place an order for me without getting a deposit or any kind of commitment from me. I guess this dealer could just be really accommodating and customer oriented but I am so used to dealers lying to me on the phone about a car they did have to get me to drive out to the dealership to try to sell me a completely different car that my experience with the Explorer is making me nervous.

One last question he asked was about whether I wanted regular or chrome alloys. I said regular assuming there was an extra charge (and not liking the chrome look anyway) but the salesman said no extra charge but they had to have that info when taking the order. I had not read about this on the forum (after months of reading) but will take a look now.

Thanks a lot for all the help on this board. All the info and advice (both here and in reading other posts) have been great.

One way to get a good feeling about his actually placing an order is to get the order number and his dealer code from him. If they place the order early next week, they should be able to get that to you right away. With those two numbers, Ford Customer Service will be able to tell you your assigned VIN when it becomes available (hopefully within 3-4 weeks).

What is "chrome alloy"?

Thanks Gandalf. I requested and got the info back from the dealership which is now requesting a $500 deposit (not a big deal as this is what I was expecting). I am not sure what chrome wheels the salesman referred to are though I assume they are the optional polished rims. The salesman confirmed via email that the rims I am getting are the LTD's stock 20" painted aluminum rims.

One thing on my order was a priority number of 19. I think I read about this on the forum and will look but does anyone know off the top of their head if a 19 priority is good or bad?

Thanks Gandalf. I requested and got the info back from the dealership which is now requesting a $500 deposit (not a big deal as this is what I was expecting). I am not sure what chrome wheels the salesman referred to are though I assume they are the optional polished rims. The salesman confirmed via email that the rims I am getting are the LTD's stock 20" painted aluminum rims.

One thing on my order was a priority number of 19. I think I read about this on the forum and will look but does anyone know off the top of their head if a 19 priority is good or bad?
Now that you have the dealer code and order number, you can send a PM to Seni (FordCustSrvc) and she should be able to give you the info that's available in Ford's system about your order. For the first 3-4 weeks, she won't be able to tell you much other than the order has been processed. After that time she will be able to tell you your VIN as soon as you get one from Ford. After that, she'll be able to tell you when your Ex goes into production.

OK, I thought it might be the wheels. Painted aluminum wheels are stock on the Limited. The only other factory option you have are the Polished aluminum ones. I just had never the term "chrome" applied to them before.

As far as I can tell, Ford's priority system when ordering a car is black magic. Based on post's here in the forum, it seems that dealer "allocation" is more important than "priority". But exactly how that works, I am not sure.

Now that you have the dealer code and order number, you can send a PM to Seni (FordCustSrvc) and she should be able to give you the info that's available in Ford's system about your order. For the first 3-4 weeks, she won't be able to tell you much other than the order has been processed. After that time she will be able to tell you your VIN as soon as you get one from Ford. After that, she'll be able to tell you when your Ex goes into production.

Thanks for the referral Gandalf! Just to confirm, the above information is right on. Have a great week!

~Seni

Back