• Register Today It's free!

AWD/4WD Available through X-Plan

Rocketfan

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
Great site. I was trying to pull the trigger on an AWD Sterling Grey Ltd with the second row console and seats using the ZAG service but got the runaround from all 3 "certified" dealers on my list. Two would not respond to me at all and the one dealer that did kept explaining that Zag made an error and they would not order me a vehicle at that price. He then told me if I had X-Plan, I would basically get the same price and lo and behold, I do have X-Plan through my employer. The dealer was very responsive to this and sent me an X-Plan quote but for a FWD within a few hours. After repeatedly requesting the X-Plan quote for the AWD/4WD so I could place my order (for over a week now), I have not heard back from him.

I checked the X-Plan website but could not get a price on an AWD. Unless I missed something really stupid (very possible), all I could see on the X-Plan website were FWD Explorers. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but can you still order an AWD using X-Plan (I know there are no more fleet sales for AWD thanks to this site :D)?

I am about through waiting for this salesman to get back to me (this certified Zag dealer pretty far from my house anyway) and will call around to other Ford dealers to see if they will place an X-Plan order for me but wanted to avoid this AWD issue if it comes up again.

Also, any recommendations for a good dealer in Orange County, CA would be much appreciated. I am really looking forward to driving an Explorer again as I have a lot of good feelings for my old one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered my Explorer back on 3/4 with AWD and X-Plan. NO issues then

I ordered my 4WD on 3/18. No word on problems. No VIN yet either...

3/30 and waiting on VIN. Seni did confirm order is in system.

Ordered '11 X Ltd 302A pkg in tri coat white on 3/7, got our VIN 2 wks ago - I was able to pull up the window sticker finally today! I have been checking twice a day for a week and a half. This is way worse than xmas when I was a kid. Build date is 4/12 - the orders that were placed on 3/18 and 3/30 should be moving through the "system" in the next week or two I would think. There are alot of threads I have read that have been 3-5 weeks on a window sticker. Seems to me the mid to late first quarter orders are moving along a little smoother that late 2010 and early '11 orders. Never fast enough though ;) ....

Thanks, I guess I just missed something on the X-Plan website. I will start calling around to find a dealer that will order the explorer for me with X-Plan. Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks, I guess I just missed something on the X-Plan website. I will start calling around to find a dealer that will order the explorer for me with X-Plan. Thanks again for all the help.
Try building your X through Truecar.com. They use your zip code and recommend dealers within 15 or 20 miles of you. Truecar also gives you good points of reference for pricing.

That is what I did. I live in Torrance, and after submitting through Truecar, I heard from Central Ford in South Gate, Sunrise Ford in Fontana (I think), and South Bay Ford in Hawthorne. In addition, I also checked out Power Ford in Torrance. They all said they accept the X plan. I got an X-plan based quote from Power and South Bay and they were exactly the same.

I know you are in OC, and might not want to come up to LA County, but Truecar should be a big help to you.

It doesn't matter what the dealer wants to sell their high profit AWD for to an X-plan buyer, the price is already set off the vehicle invoice, they have no input.

I ordered my 4wd Limited through X plan in February and stil haven't received a build date, ship date.. NOTHING. I feel like a second class citizen because they're unable to hose me on the extra premium they seem to be charging people when explorers become available.

I'm extremely discouraged with this process. I'm about to give up entirely and get my deposit back.

That is discouraging. I don't need the car right away but I don't want to be stuck waiting for months longer than usual because I have x-plan. I didn't think x-plan affected the order cars are delivered (I guess I better police and look into the priority level the car is being ordered at).

Are most or all of the people who post complaints about having placed orders in December or January but still not getting any word on build dates or shipment placing orders through x-plan? If so, I would have to re-evaluate whether to use x-plan or just look at the new Jeep (though I would hate to do so).

I bought on x-plan and I don't believe that my car was held up because of it, based on other build and delivery dates I've seen around here.

If anyone in the Chicago suburb area is looking for a dealership to buy via x-plan, I've got one for you. They're in Oswego and could not be nicer or more helpful.

For context, here are my dates:
Re-ordered: 2/16 (changed from FWD to AWD and was too late to change my original order)
Build: 3/7
Delivered: 3/30

If anyone in the Chicago suburb area is looking for a dealership to buy via x-plan, I've got one for you. They're in Oswego and could not be nicer or more helpful.

I almost went there (closest to my home) but decided on the Auto Mall in N. Aurora because I pass by it every day to / from work. Hopefully my experience will be as smooth as it appears yours was.

Which is exactly why NO dealer will willingly sell the upscale or more desireable models under the X-plan.

This statement couldnt be any more wrong. Many dealers are selling limiteds at xplan. If one doesnt, another will. Both my local dealers gladly accepted xplan on my 302a limited.

Ordered 2/6
Built 3/17
Mft 3/21
Awaiting shipment - auto warehouse 3/24

Find the truck you want at a local dealer. Go down, ask to see it, then when you look it over and are ready to talk Turkey, whip out the x-plan pin. Your obligated to tell them you have it when you start to talk money. THEY are obligated to show you the invoice with the x-plan pricing print out and sell you the truck. If they don't, mention how you will call the phone number for xplan customer service and tell them the story. They can get in HUGE trouble if they don't play by the x-plan rules.

It's actually a dealer option to participate... It isn't like A, Z or D plan...

Lots of info HERE

11. Can I receive the special Partner Recognition Plan price at any dealer?

The Plan program is available through all participating U.S.A. dealerships. Dealer participation is voluntary. You should inform the dealer of Plan eligibility during your first contact with your dealer. If for some reason your dealer elects not to participate, you may visit another dealer. Eligible vehicles that are in limited supply, like most SVT models, may be difficult to obtain through the Plan.

Unless you are buying a special vehicle, such as a Shelby or SVT,the dealer is mandated to honor Ford's discount plans,A,Z,X,and D.The dealer still makes a profit on these programs.Dealers stay in business with Ford by selling in volume and these plans help increase the volume,even though the profit margin is smaller.
In the case of long delivery times,dealer allocation is part of the problem,not the plan you order under.

It's actually a dealer option to participate... It isn't like A, Z or D plan...

Lots of info HERE

11. Can I receive the special Partner Recognition Plan price at any dealer?

See, I read this as "if they are an x-plan dealer." That is, the dealer can elect to become an x-plan dealer or not, but once they are an x-plan dealer they have to sell you the car. They can't choose to do x-plan on one car and not on the other car.

So as long as he walks into an x-plan participating dealer, they have to sell him the truck.

Or am I wrong?

I ordered a LTD with 302, moonroof, towing on 1/17 using X plan. Dealer had no issue with it, gave me a priority 10 and I picked up my Ex on 3/04. It is all based upon the dealer. Mine was Gator Ford in Tampa. Anyone in Tampa area who wants the Salesman, send me a PM. Love the car, only issue is getting thumb drive to work with Sync but got it figured out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See, I read this as "if they are an x-plan dealer." That is, the dealer can elect to become an x-plan dealer or not, but once they are an x-plan dealer they have to sell you the car. They can't choose to do x-plan on one car and not on the other car.

So as long as he walks into an x-plan participating dealer, they have to sell him the truck.

Or am I wrong?

I'm pretty positive it's any dealer can accept Xplan any time they want but can also refuse it any time they want. I don't believe there are "xplan" dealers and "non xplan" dealers.

It's completely up to them whether they want to take it on a case by case basis.

Taking Xplan is no different then selling the car at invoice and charging $500 to do the paperwork. The dealer ends up making approximately the same profit.

Back