• Register Today It's free!

AWD reliability?

rfaulk93

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0
I am looking to purchase a 2001 Ex with 5.0 and awd. I want the 5.0 because it comes with a heavier duty transmission (4r70w) and frankly I'm tired of messing with 5r55e's. (I just sold a ranger with a 5r that i put major time and money into.) I know that 4r's have issues with shuddering if not properly maintained, but what i need to know is about the awd system. I personally am from GA and dont see the need for it but im purchasing in VA and can't hardly find a rwd model, much less one with a v8. I have read that the 4wd models can have some sort of transfer case shift solenoid issue but does the awd have the same issues? I am going to be towing an 18ft stingray boat (around 3000lbs). I plan to put on a HUGE tranny cooler but what do i do about the awd? If it is automatic switching, is there anything I can do to make sure it works without finding out the hard way it doesnt on a salt water boat ramp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my 99 used with 80k on the clock 5 yrs ago. I have 155k now and they have all been trouble free miles. I can easily say that it has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned(5 chevy's and a toyota). The AWD is excellent in the snow.

the awd is constantly on. It's purely mechanical, no switches, electronics, no anything. Just a viscous coupler, and some gears and chain to drive the front axle. It's a very reliable system, and I have read about very few actually failing. Easiest way to check it would be to get in some dirt, wet pavement, etc and gun it, you'll find out very quickly if it's working or not.

I just recently bought my 2000 AWD X and you do need to be aware that it may have a front end "whine" present. Might annoy you might not. I plan to put sound deadener on the floor soon that should stop most of that.

I just recently bought my 2000 AWD X and you do need to be aware that there is a front end "whine" always present. Might annoy you might not. I plan to put sound deadener on the floor soon that should stop most of that.

There should be no front end whine present, if yours has one, then you have a problem.

front end whine?????

sounds to me like you have a bad wheel hub bearing dont think that has anything to do with awd system if so check ur fluid level in ur front differential but i think ur experiencing wheel hub bearing gone bad

I just recently bought my 2000 AWD X and you do need to be aware that there is a front end "whine" always present. Might annoy you might not. I plan to put sound deadener on the floor soon that should stop most of that.

No whine at all in my 97 AWD Mountaineer. I do have a crunching sound I can hear at low speed though that I think is the front driveshaft.

No whine at all in my 97 AWD Mountaineer. I do have a crunching sound I can hear at low speed though that I think is the front driveshaft.

Use search and you'll find the whine quite common.

I had a loud whine... put a new hub on and fixed it...no more noise

but ive only put about 4,000 miles on my 97 EX

AWD with 5.0

and its been off roading once, and i just recently drove it 800 miles to wyoming.
No problem, infact im getting REALLY good gas mileage

(factory sized tires for now, factory 3.73's)
and my 800 mile trip was mostly 65mph...and i clocked 21 miles to the gallon for 155 miles

Easily some of the most durable and reliable Fords ever made.

My AWD transfer box and front differential and tires are a little roary/whiney/loud I have pretty aggressive snow tires.
Truck is a tank and all original down to the alternator, starter and fuel pump.
Never let me down or broke down and I would drive it to California right now, have replaced several unit hubs and brakes other than that truck is a rock.

I would not not own an OHC 4.0 and only recommend the 8 cylinder.

I had a loud whine... put a new hub on and fixed it...no more noise

but ive only put about 4,000 miles on my 97 EX

AWD with 5.0

and its been off roading once, and i just recently drove it 800 miles to wyoming.
No problem, infact im getting REALLY good gas mileage

(factory sized tires for now, factory 3.73's)
and my 800 mile trip was mostly 65mph...and i clocked 21 miles to the gallon for 155 miles

wow 21 from a v8 awd? not bad.

My wife's durango (4.7 4x4) is "said" to get 24 hwy....pffff.... liars.

@97Explorerxltawd.... where at in oklahoma? I'm a born and raised okie.

no but not to be unexpected.:thumbsup:

It is possible, sure. But, it's a condition telling him that something is not right. The way your initial post read, it said that there is a whine always present with the AWD system, which made it sound like it was normal, which it isn't. Big difference. :)

AWD reliability

We own a 2001,V/8,AWD & love it. I bought it many years ago to pull boats and to drive around as usual when it snows;the truck does both VERY well and effortlessly. Maintain the vehicle with mfg. recommended maintenance on the drive train & you'll probably wind up keeping it for quite a while. I use michelin LTX w/ factory tow pkg. 3.73 gears & get 15 mpg city and 20.5 mpg @ 72 mph hwy. & regular 87 octane gas.Its got about 150k on it now & good for another hunert'.Get one,you'll love it.:thumbsup:

It is possible, sure. But, it's a condition telling him that something is not right. The way your initial post read, it said that there is a whine always present with the AWD system, which made it sound like it was normal, which it isn't. Big difference. :)

Yea sorry about that. When I first researched the issue on here every thread I was finding were other AWD owners saying that it was a pretty common issue. Most who replied was just living with the issue giving me the impression that it was more of a characteristic of the vehicle. Grant it most of those threads were a few years old which doesn't really help. Thanks for the correction though I'm ordering a rebuild kit for my front differential to put in next week.

More on topic. We just drove our recently purchased 2000 AWD from Central KS to TN with 152k and she drove fantastic (aside from the whine). Took her into the hills and it pulled really strong up steep grades. Still figuring MPG since we've only put 2 tanks through her so far.

Check out fuelly.com for mileage tracking. I've been putting mine on there for a while, the charts, graphs, and information is addicting. :shifty_ey

I've been driving my 2000 for 2 days now, after extended time in the car and letting the Ex sit in the garage. Didn't realize how much I missed driving it. (with no whine) :D

I've had 3 AWD's now, and I'm batting 2-for-3 on good ones now. My '97 was a mess, lots of parts to replace.

AWD FTW

get the same or better mileage on the highway vs sohc 4.0 (i think thats the 210hp one)

had to replace wheel bearing as i go off road alot but the AWD works well in all conditions

get one and you WILL NOT be disappointed:thumbsup:

It's been a sure treat to drive my AWD in the snow again the last few days. Had to drive the Toyota to Kalamazoo on Sunday when we had the storm, and man- what a hair-raising drive. And I don't even have hair to raise. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto on the crunch, ignore it long enough, it'll become louder, and audible at higher speeds. Read on here it's 9/10 times the CV joint on the rear of the front driveshaft just after the transfer case. Gonna replace soon. Back on topic, my truck hasn't let me down. AWD system works fantastically on these trucks. I would recommend it to ANYONE, whether you actually think you'll use it or not, you'll love it when you do.

Back