• Register Today It's free!

axle question

cmurph93

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x2
Im looking at getting a locker for my 93 XLT but i wasn't sure if it was a 31 spline 3/4" shaft or a 31 spline 7/8" shaft

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same for me. I'm looking to buy an LSD for my 99 2WD Sport. Would it be the Ford 8.8? If so, what about splines, 28 or 31?

from what I've read they are all 31 spline untill 2002

Mine was a 7/8" shaft, so I imagine all the ones in explorers are. What it's talking about is the diameter of the pinion shaft inside the differential. It's what holds everything together.

I agree

OK so to make this painfully obvious, here is what I would get:

Ford 8.8", 7/8" shaft, 31 tooth.

That would all be the same whether I got a PoweTrax, and Eaton or any other brand. Just want to be sure befor I order one. THanks.

Yeah that would be it.

Wonderful. Thanks. Now I just have to decide which one to get...

If you're interested in a posi or automatic unit take a look at the Eaton posi, not just their lockers.

That's what I've been thinking about. I really don't think I need a pure locker. An LSD is probably best for me. It's the best on-road, and does a decent job off. I'm checking arpund to see who has the best price on the Eatons.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Eaton from West Coast?

Performance Products $434.95
Summit Racing $439.95

I think it was between $350-380.

Thanks.

Thanks Alex, I'll check out that place.

As for the eBay link, I only use them for minor things. I always buy things like that froma reputable place by credit card. Gotta make sure I'm covered in case. TOo many horror stories about people being screwed by unscrupulous sellers.

Back