Axle Regearing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Regearing

First, I would ask why the parts are listed online @ www.car-part.com for less than what they are quoting you.
Stock # L21119, rear axle, 3.73 Limited Slip Diff = $99.95

Ok, how far is Marshalls Auto Parts from you?
$69.95 for LSD rear (stock # 090829) with only 96,000 miles on it. (Circleville , TEL: 1-800-333-2104)
AND, they have the matching ratio front differential with your CAD, also for $69.95

HAHA! That is so bad ass right there! I love this forum..WOOT!

How many other places can you go to and get help like this? :D:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well they are 3.5 hours away but if it was as good of a deal as they claim then I would drive there...

You can look up the parts you need as well, using the site below.
Just add the year, make, model. The part you need for the front is (carrier, see also differential) and the rear is (Axle assembly, rear with housing).

You want the V8 version of the 3.73 LSD (D4 axle code).
For your front diff, you will need the "Vac assist" 3.73

Naturally grade "A" is in better condition, some parts will list mileage on them, but not all do it.

At the bottom of the homepage, you can have your results sorted by distance, price, part grade and year of the replacement depending on what you want as an end result for your search. I have this bookmarked and use it to not only find parts, but check compatibility between years.

ok, thanks man.. but you raised another question for me.. Why do I want to get the V8 version of the 3.73 LSD?

I always thought that the V8s and V6s used the same axels.. Aren't they both 8.8's?

Yes they are both 8.8's.

It seems I "typoed" below. When you put in the search for the axle, go for the V8 3.73 ....that will get you the Limited slip diff. (after it lists the junkyards and their inventory, some yards will put in that the diff is a D4 which is the 3.73 LSD)
I just typed it a little off, sorry for the confusion.

Just for informational purposes, they do use the same axles, but the housings are a tad different.
The V8 version will have 2 spots for the factory "anti-wrap" bars to bolt to. The V6 will not.

Oh ok, thanks for the clearification. I'll let you know what I end up doing/ getting.

Thanks, that doesn't happen very often.

yeah i've noticed that on here a lot too...

As an update: I went to Westwood Auto Parts and picked up a 89k front axle from a 95 explorer and a 101k rear limited slip axle today. It ended up costing 225 per axle but if i take my old ones back to them they'll give me $25 a piece back. That sounds like a rip off but what can you do..

Anyhow my next step is tonight I'm going to power-wash them and begin getting them ready to paint.

Careful with the power wash, you can easily blow the seals on the axles, pinion, or diff cover...

Thanks for the heads up but I'm planning on replacing all the seals anyhow. The problem I have now is that when I went to take the rear axles out, the pinion shaft lock bolt is broke in half inside the housing so now i can't even take it apart.. I'm not sure of the next step.

That problem is quite common in the ford 8.8 carrier. I have been searching for the tool that I saw awhile back, it was made for the specific task of removing that sheered off pin. Of course, now that I want to find it, I can not.

ok, thanks a lot guys! you've been very helpful with this so far! I thought I was screwed when I saw that that was broke. Of all the things when buying a junkyard diff that was not one of the problems I was prepared for..

I'll be looking into getting that tool tomorrow and getting a new bolt..

First, I would ask why the parts are listed online @ www.car-part.com for less than what they are quoting you.
Stock # L21119, rear axle, 3.73 Limited Slip Diff = $99.95

the price he was quoted over the phone may include a core charge.

one of the yards up here has a $100 core charge for axles.

or, atleast for the front and rear I picked up.

So yesterday I sucessfully got the broken half of the lock bolt out in about 2 minutes. There was only like 1 thread left on it and no lock-tite was holding it so i simply put a pick in there and started turning it counter clockwise by catching a bur on the edge of the threads. It worked great, picked that trick up from a local dealer even though he wasn't sure it would work. Guess I was lucky this time..

So now its game on and time to re-seal and paint! :)

Ok.. so more bad news. I started cleaning up the front carrier and I took the oil seals out preparing to put new ones in and found what I believe is the pinion bearings to be rough, as if the pinion was over tightened at some point. I've never tore into a differential before and I've heard that there are alignment issues when putting the ring back in that could need shiming. I was concidering just swaping the guts (minus the bearings) out of the junkyard carrier into my current one but I'm not sure what i'm getting into. So at this point I've even considered having a shop rebuild the junkyard carrier but I'm also afraid of the cost...

Any help would be appreicated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they have a 30 day warrenty and I called the yard today and they are pulling another one for me. It should be ready for pick up tomorrow at noon.
We'll see...

Back