Axle Shaft Spacer & Snap Ring - How important are these? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Shaft Spacer & Snap Ring - How important are these?

WC Loc

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
94 Explorer 4x4
Manual Locking Hubs

How important are these parts? And do they even belong on the Manual Hubs or are they for the Automatic Hubs?

What do they do?

In replacing my rotor I referenced a manual and found diagrams & steps show taking these off and placing them back on. Neither front wheel has these... When I went to the parts store to buy (autozone), they didn't have them either. They suggested summit racing for the whole hub (which i don't need). This leads me to believe that they are not important (just like the retainer washers i am missing, which hold the manual hub in place when you put the tire on).

Can someone school me here? I don't want to have to replace another rotor or more parts. This vehicle is only used for street driving, nothing fancy yet.

Here are pics of the missing parts and diagram that i found in another thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=236841

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been a couple of days, but I'll try to answer.

The spacer/snap ring prevent the axleshaft from "sucking" into the spindle. Some report that, when they misplace or lose these parts, the axleshaft sucks into the spindle where it no longer engages the hub, which means no power gets to the front wheels. If you aren't experiencing this issue, then count your blessings. I would probably be looking for these parts to prevent future issues.

It's true, without that spacer and snap ring, the axle shaft slides back a little bit. For me, it created a binding in the wheel and completely sheared my hub nuts and my brand new superwinch hubs at the bottom flange of both on my old '91. YOU MUST INSTALL THESE!

You absolutely need them. They are critical for keeping the axle in the correct place which keeps it from binding, and also keeps the seals tight so that water does not get in. Long term you will wreck and mangle all kinds of things without them.

long term?! it took 20 feet of driving in reverse to make my truck completely undriveable.

What if you did the c clip eliminator? With the spring pushing the two pieces of the axle apart wouldn't it keep the outside piece out where it belongs? That would keep the axle from sucking in.

What do ya think?

~Mark

i say keep them on still, just to be safe

If I am thinking about the forces in my head correctly, going in 4wd and making a turn there will be a very large amount of force trying to shove the axle out of the hub and into the diff. I think it might be able to overpower the spring used in the c-clip elimination mod...

Once the center of the u-joint is not aligned with the pivot point of the knuckle, all kinds of binding is going to occur. Something will break for sure (like jg09's hubs)

It seems fairly well established that not having the parts in there can cause problems, and there does not seem to be any advantage to running without them... so it would seem best to install them. Given the right circumstances you might get away with it in 2wd, but in 4wd there will be problems.

side note: i completely sheared my hubs into 2 pieces with them unlocked and with the truck in 2wd

1)Is he refering to the (2) thrust spacers, that go with the Automatic hubs?

2)Or is he refering to the spacer (axle shaft)that has teeth cut into it?

1= Dont have them on mine
2=absolutly critical!!!!!!

2=absolutly critical!!!!!!

side note: i completely sheared my hubs into 2 pieces with them unlocked and with the truck in 2wd

The OP seems to have been driving around for awhile without them for awhile and has not destroyed anything, so hence I said "Given the right circumstances you might get away with it..."

1st like to thank everyone for thier posts.
2nd sorry for the late response.
3rd ya'll are scaring the piss out of me.

Not sure if it makes a difference but i have manual hubs, and many enthusiasts seem to have auto hubs. Also, this is 100% stock (newbie here).

Take a look here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=236841

The very 1st pic are the (2) parts i am missing, neither axle had them on. If you go down on that post to the diagram of the part's assembly - from the far right they are the (2) parts immediately to the left of the hub. (they are labeled).

I've only had this vehicle since last Nov 2009. I know the previous owner did not have service for at minimum of a year prior... So, let's assume no issues for at least 1.5yr missing both the Axle Shaft Spacer and Snap Ring. Also, previous owner was too lazy to bend over - let alone use 4WD or even know how to lock the manual hub. So I'm the 1st person in about 2yrs to test the locking hub and 4WD. (which i now consider myself very lucky). Most of the time it is in 2WD for driving purposed w the hubs "free". No binding.

Now that I read everyone's posts, I think I understand what the sucking is all about. I have heard what could be a "binding" when in either 4WD or w the hubs locked but no 4WD engaged (cannot remember which) and making a turn. So yes, when in 4WD i need these parts to prevent binding. I do know that the locking hub does engage as the axle will turn (visual confirmation).

So i need to go to Ford garage for pricing, or maybe pull-a-part, or the local junk yard to pull these off.

What is frustrating is that neither major parts dealer will sell these (AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts).

Can anyone tell me what the Hub "retaining washer" does? Does this just keep the hub in place when changing the tire? I've noticed it's a big pain in the @ss to change the tire b/c any weight on the hub will pull it off. So i have to put the hub in the tire and assemble that way onto the lugs. What a pain.

Did i buy a possible junker?

Again, thanks for the help eveyone.

I've purchased the washer at NAPA before...
Why not PM Dannyboy and see if he wants to sell a set. He does mention he has lots of spares, and to let him know if anyone needs some.
Yes, more people have auto hubs, but you do need those pieces with manuals, too.
Hub retaining washers are just little clip type deals that go onto one or two lugs after the hub is on. They just keep the hub from falling off when you have the tire off. They're not essential, just a convenience.

I got a some spares from the junk yard (in pairs of all 4 parts), if anyone can help me locate an EGR tube for much less than autozone - i'd be happier than a pig in ****. The ones at the junk yards all all seized and they will not let me take a torch in to remove... It's too damn cold here in Ohio this time of year.

Anyone have an issue where the axle has been "sucked" in? I got the Axle Shaft Spacer & "C" Snap Ring in place on the passenger side... I cannot get the driver side set in place - i'm like 1mm off.

I tried to pull it out, not coming out. I tried using a prybar to get behind where i can see the u-joint, not coming out.

help!

...This is common on the passenger side when maxing out the front end off roading or when the c-clip and splined washer are not in place or have been damaged..

...Generally you need to pull the two shafts apart where they meet together in the boot...The boot is usually the resistance when trying to pull the shaft out far enough to get the splined washer and c-clip back on..;)

I had to fight both of my clips. Like yours, almost almost there. I ultimately used a hammer and a screwdriver and basically rammed the clip home. I think, in the day, the washer was available in different thicknesses. I have done a lot of test driving, and the clips stay in, no noticable problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...This is common on the passenger side when maxing out the front end off roading or when the c-clip and splined washer are not in place or have been damaged..

...Generally you need to pull the two shafts apart where they meet together in the boot...The boot is usually the resistance when trying to pull the shaft out far enough to get the splined washer and c-clip back on..;)

Ditto.. Not only will the boot hold the shaft, but that slip joint on the shaft can get nasty which makes it now want to move.. But the boot seems to cause the issue more.. Think of a Chinese finger puzzle. The more you pull the tighter it gets.

~Mark

Back