Axle strength strong enough for a stock 50 engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle strength strong enough for a stock 50 engine

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Is the dana 35 strong enough to hold up to a stock 50 engine? Plan "A" is to swap to the knuckles, stub shafts, hubs, brakes, etc. from a dana 44 and run 37's. I plan on cryogenically treating a new set of axle shafts, gears and a locker for strength, since nobody makes cromo shafts for the TTB.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. I am a member of that group.

Ford actually "fielded" an F-150 with a D35 center on a project truck that was run in a couple of Baja races, so, based on this, I am going to say "Yes". I would note to play nice to start with, as you get a feel for what the axle is "telling" you about things.

That's good to know. Now that I know that, I am going to start collecting parts.

Is the dana 35 strong enough to hold up to a stock 50 engine? Plan "A" is to swap to the knuckles, stub shafts, hubs, brakes, etc. from a dana 44 and run 37's. I plan on cryogenically treating a new set of axle shafts, gears and a locker for strength, since nobody makes cromo shafts for the TTB.

This is asking for opinion. Why not base the decision on HARD information? For example, back in the '60s, Corvette decided to offer their 427 engine with 3-2s, and low rear axle ratios. Every one given any abusive throttle at all, BROKE the U-joints in the axle stub-shafts.

Came to find they were putting 4 TIMES the maximum torque recommended by Dana Spicer, to the joints used!

Why not consult with Dana specs. on model 35 center section?

imp

My guess is no assuming a locker is involved:

Since the D35 is pretty much the same as the D44 in U-joints, and since even treated axle shafts can barely withstand 36" tires with the 4.0L engine, then using the same U-joints with a slightly heavier engine weight (engine torque is almost irrelevant here because even the 4.0L can break axle shafts) and a slightly larger tire will probably result in broken axle shafts and U-joints.

This is just like the D44 vs D60 dilema - yes you can spend a few thousand dollars on a D44 to push 36" tires with treated axle shafts and everything else under the sun, while at the same time babying the skinny pedal. Or spend the same amount on a fully stock D60 to push the same tire but have a significantly lower failure rate than the D44 and not have to worry about mashing the gas pedal backwards up the rock face (when the entire weight/torque of the vehicle goes to the front axle).

I was just thinking since I saw the torchmate car running a modified Dana 50 ttb with huge horsepower and 40" tires that it would be fun to try replicating the same thing with less horsepower and smaller tires. I was only thinking of using what I've got (Dana 35) until it breaks. I've read on this site that the center section of the 35 is just about as strong as a 44. I am going to upgrade the knuckles, stub shaft, brakes, wheel bearings to the Dana 44 stuff. I know there are other weak points in this axle but thought since these upgrades are fairly cheap, I might give it a try. I have a 5.0 and plan on swapping it in eventually (after a rebuild) but thought I would get some opinions, collect some parts and give it a try. A locker is going to be used just to answer that question.

The D44 centersection is definitely stronger than the D35's, however the shafts used in both axles would tend to hide this fact.

If one was to fully deck out a D35 with 30-spline chromo shafts I could see the chance of broken R&P gears increasing vs. on a D44, though there's still enough of a margin there I don't think there's a whole lot to worry about just yet running stock-type shafts (unlike on a D30 where stripped gears do happen occasionally with stock 297X u-joint shafts).

Until your last post, I was wondering WTF a "stock 50" engine was. lol (missing a couple periods "." up there)

Yeah, I was wondering about the 50 engine too.

Back