Axles vs. Independent | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axles vs. Independent

It would be awesome to see an LT IFS/IRS, but now I'm thinking about the money. If you have $8500 to spend on this, you could use that money to buy a pretty sweet already built beater.

A perfect rig comes to mind that is for sale on this board. Michael's SAS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would be awesome to see an LT IFS/IRS, but now I'm thinking about the money. If you have $8500 to spend on this, you could use that money to buy a pretty sweet already built beater.

A perfect rig comes to mind that is for sale on this board. Michael's SAS.

examples would be great

Thanks a lot for the links guys! But for some of those prices (and I think one was 7k) I might as well put away another 1,500 buck and have a built 4th Gen:) Besides the suspension, I will be doing all the other fabrication myself. And I do know I could trade my truck and pickup one of those for no cost at all.. plus another 5K for mods! But honesty.. I love my 4th Gen. And even with a G55.. (and no offence to 1st/2nd Gen owners, and I really mean no offense) it would fill weird stepping into a 1st/2nd gen ex after having a BA 4th Gen.. I think I'm going to stick with her.

Well now that you've seen your various options and you don't mind spending the money, I'll say that I have been really anxious to see someone actually build a 3rd or 4th gen for a long time, and I would love to see a long travel IFS/IRS explorer. Good luck with the build!

^Thanks a lot man!

Well now that you've seen your various options and you don't mind spending the money, I'll say that I have been really anxious to see someone actually build a 3rd or 4th gen for a long time, and I would love to see a long travel IFS/IRS explorer. Good luck with the build!

x2! :thumbsup:

dollar for wheel travel/performance a solid axle link setup is going to destroy an IRS setup. But it would be cool to see a 4 wheel IFS truck. Brandon does good work and has pretty much done everything on my race truck. if you went to him you wouldnt be dissapointed at all.

also before you get too far into this you might want to look into fiberglass fender sources. im sure the a-arms will be 4.5+" wider per side so there no way you can get away with not running aftermarket fenders front and rear.

I'd say IFS, Solid Rear would be best for what you are talking about, but IFS/IRS would be a good idea if not for the fact that the rear CVs go through the frame - so you'll either have to cut the frame or stick with however much travel those frame holes allow.

And as for fenders - Dave Turner has told me they could sell cut fenders for 07+ STs, which I think should work for 06+ Exs as well. He also offered some high strength CVs (they were pretty pricey though).

Actually, So Cal, you could probably go over to see Dave Turner and talk with them. They have a prerunner 07 V6 ST, so they definitely will have some experience with the 4th Gen Explorer platform.

I'd say IFS, Solid Rear would be best for what you are talking about, but IFS/IRS would be a good idea if not for the fact that the rear CVs go through the frame - so you'll either have to cut the frame or stick with however much travel those frame holes allow.

And as for fenders - Dave Turner has told me they could sell cut fenders for 07+ STs, which I think should work for 06+ Exs as well. He also offered some high strength CVs (they were pretty pricey though).

Actually, So Cal, you could probably go over to see Dave Turner and talk with them. They have a prerunner 07 V6 ST, so they definitely will have some experience with the 4th Gen Explorer platform.

Yea I love his truck. I've talked to him in the past. I'll have to call him back and see whats going on. But this build won't be happening for a while. But I kinda need to know now because I'm putting 488's on in a few weeks along with locking diffs! But if I decide to go solid in the rear, I'd fell very stupid after just spending the money on a rear locking diff for my IRS...

I say irs. like you said nobody else has it and it would be pretty b/a. Every truck out there has a solid rear axle.

Any pictures of your truck now? You always say you will put up pics of the lastest of your truck. but you haven't. lol. I still picture it with the bush gaurd and the billet grill.

I say irs. like you said nobody else has it and it would be pretty b/a. Every truck out there has a solid rear axle.

Any pictures of your truck now? You always say you will put up pics of the lastest of your truck. but you haven't. lol. I still picture it with the bush gaurd and the billet grill.

Sorry.. hahah. I've posted some small teaser shots before.

If you kept it IRS and got it to somehow long travel through a work around for the CVs going thru the frame, your Ex would definitely be in SEMA or at least magazine cover territory.

^HAHA! Never even thought of that.

Hey man, you sure you don't want to sell your X???? I fell asleep at the wheel and well lets say I'm looking for another one!!! And to have my X's twin would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! I made a post and put pics up.

Still planning on going through with this?

Still planning on going through with this?

With my current truck, no. But if I ever get my dream sport trac I'd like to go IFS/IRS

King- what year is your dream sport trac? 07+ already have IFS/IRS the 01-05 have IFS/Solid Rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

King- what year is your dream sport trac? 07+ already have IFS/IRS the 01-05 have IFS/Solid Rear.

Nice Job:thumbsup: But yes a long travel 2nd gen.

Back