First Service Appt - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Service Appt - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

BooYahDad

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
So I've had my EX LTD for about 10 days now and brought it to the selling dealer today for my first appointment. Primarily for the protection package (I know, but two kids & highway miles!), but moreover to fix the A-Pillar problem.

First, the good: they appear to have fixed the windshield noise! They referenced two TSB's and replaced some trim pieces and clips on both sides. Hopefully it lasts!

Next, the bad: I knew the protection application was contracted out, but I came back to find they had put on 30 miles!! 30?!? Seems a bit excessive, but I didn't get to question because security was closed. Does this seem like a lot to you? Oh, and I lost some of that new car smell... :(

But, the UGLY: I get in the vehicle and am so focused on adjusting the seats that I didn't initially notice it. But about 100 yards later, I look over and see....a utensil pack from a local fast food spot!!! They took my brand new car through drive through on a flipping lunch run?? Are you kidding me? I haven't put ANY food or liquid in there yet and they've got fried chicken?? I am beyond livid - this is my first Ford.....is this really how dealers behave?!?

What would you do? Aren't there some Ford representatives who monitor this site? I'm truly outraged at my first Ford service experience...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hate to break the news, but those "protection packages" are usually useless and pure dealer profit.
Yes, it would piss me off if they eat or go to a drive-through in my spanking brand new ride!
This is not an issue with FORD, this is a dealership issue.

Talk to the dealership's GM and/or Service Manager, and explain to them what you stated hear. And if you want/expect a resolution/compensation, have a "call to action".

Thanks....I don't know what I would expect from the dealer? I'm sure they'll profusely apologize and that's about it. And I'm sure it happens all the time - they're just usually more careful to not leave evidence.

And yes, if I hadn't received the protection package for about $100, there's no way I would have done it. But with two small children, I welcome the even overstated extra protection!

I would talk with the service manager and ask the mechanic get called in before you even begin. State your issue, remain calm, express your anger about the mileage and food run.

Depending on your location to a highway, I could see 10-15 miles being added. Test drive to confirm the noise, test drive after the repair to insure it is fixed. They probably stopped during the test drive but not acceptable if it was me.

Id ask for a free oil change/tire rotation (or two). Needs to be reasonable.

Maybe that's the SOP for ensuring the protection package works??

Haha - thanks robr2 for the laugh - good point!

And blwnsmoke - great advice. While I was angry last night, I know that being irrational and disrespectful gets you nowhere. I'm a professional - I mainly just needed to vent... (& thanks for the group buy!)

But I did speak to the service manager today mainly just to make him aware of what happened in his shop. I didn't ask for anything - although he did agree the mileage was excessive since the detail shop was 5 miles away. And there was no chicken shop nearby, so clearly someone went for a joyride in my new car. He was pretty pissed and was going to get right on it and get back to me soon.

At the end of the day, I don't want anyone thinking they can disrespect their customers. Clearly he's got someone in his shop who doesn't and that shouldn't be tolerated in a service environment.

And the good dealers know that bad news (reviews) travels much further and wider than any good news...

Haha - thanks robr2 for the laugh - good point!

And blwnsmoke - great advice. While I was angry last night, I know that being irrational and disrespectful gets you nowhere. I'm a professional - I mainly just needed to vent... (& thanks for the group buy!)

But I did speak to the service manager today mainly just to make him aware of what happened in his shop. I didn't ask for anything - although he did agree the mileage was excessive since the detail shop was 5 miles away. And there was no chicken shop nearby, so clearly someone went for a joyride in my new car. He was pretty pissed and was going to get right on it and get back to me soon.

At the end of the day, I don't want anyone thinking they can disrespect their customers. Clearly he's got someone in his shop who doesn't and that shouldn't be tolerated in a service environment.

I was just perusing the site as a new member... but I was curious to hear the follow-up on the service manager's investigation.. Was it resolved?

Back