Back again!

Blackout2017

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vegas, baby!
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Sport Shadow 401A
I was here in Feb. 2016 while buying a 2010 Explorer XLT. It held up for a few years but I had to trade it in after too many trips to the mechanic over the last two years for fuel line issues (fuel pumps, fuel rails, EVAP issues, etc.) plus assorted other problems. The mechanic was convinced it was a lemon; I wasn't so sure but I was tired of paying for his vacations.

The good news is I just picked up a 2017 Explorer Sport, 32K miles, black paint and interior, with the 401A package. I really like the glossy black grill, and still going with the "blackout" theme I'm painting over the blue front and rear badges, tinting the windows, and switching out the rims and tires. The rims will be Pro Comp 89, and the tires will be Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/65-R17. The tires are only a bit taller and wider than the stock CVX Sport 20" but they look bigger and more aggressive because of the smaller rims, wider stance, and rugged tread. (Discount Tires has a mockup page that shows you what any of their rims will look like on your vehicle, and there are a few sites online to compare the looks and stats of different tires side by side.)

I'm amazed by the advances in technology. There are buttons and settings that I'm still trying to figure out. The 8-inch touch screen is fantastic. I can already see that the SYNC 3, or at the very least the nav software, has to be updated. And the 3.5L twin turbo V6 sure makes the truck fun to drive.

I have to say I honestly think the 2016-17 design choices were aesthetically the best overall. I grew to appreciate the teardrop shape of the headlights from 2011 to 2015, but the way the headlights match the look of the fog lights on the 2016-17 models is great, and sadly the annual changes ever since have been downhill. I will never like the rear spoiler, but the only aftermarket choices I've seen for that are to make it even bigger.

I've been reading here a lot of great advice for upkeep and maintenance as well as problems to look out for in this particular model and year. I have no idea how it was cared for previous to me so this week I'll have the oil changed and check the battery and fluids. I already bought the first tank of premium gas I've ever put in a vehicle.

Here's to several years of fun driving.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your "new to you" ride:chug:

Welcome.

Back