Back from Moab - put your photos and stories here | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back from Moab - put your photos and stories here

So who has photos of Alec's wild ride up Top of the World?
Better yet, who has sound bites? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Rick
So where is everyone elses photos and video clips???
Sorry you wont get any from me.:( But we plan on comming next year. :D

Originally posted by CBoug76
So this is how we all came to be, we were Born!

P6010215.JPG
thats a great shot I didnt know anyone was watching LOL anyway it was a great trip it started a little rough when I had to change from the 33's to the 35's in 100+ degree weather then broke the stud that held my homemade trailer hitch to the bumper which made monday hard because it took about 3 hrs to fix and reinforce it so I left Moab about noon, anyway the carnage shots are of my X if everyone didnt know I broke the Pass side superlift radius arm right under the edge of the spring mount, THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everyone running the trail that day for your patience help parts and tools, and Rick the very most for without you and your welder that would have been HELL! anyway we tore it all apart and welded it and made it the rest of the way off the trail which included doing the Golden Crack and it did GREAT! It was great meeting everyone and seeing old friends again! I will post more later! with pics

So who has photos of Alec's wild ride up Top of the World?

I'm the one with the picks of Splat's 4 grand attack on Top of the world. I'm still waiting for them to come back though. As soon as I get them I'll post them.

I've been disconected for a while with my moving to Carlsbad.
Looks like you guy's had one hell of a trip. It seems like the exploders are getting bigger and the trails tougher. Hope I can make it next year. Great Pics.

Offroader, I broke 2 superlift radius arms on the Con on 2 different trips. I know the feeling. That's why I got rid of them.

Just got home a bit ago. This page is killing my 24k connection trying load it. I had a blast and cant wait to get back out to moab again. It was great seeing old faces and meeting all the new ones. Truck is still hanging together. I should have all my pics up next week after I get them developed and scanned. Not to much carnage to my truck. The half doors were great for wheeling but suck at nbight going through the mountain passes and frezzing. Time to go look at everyones pics now :D Think I will be on all night.

Matt

is RockRanger the guy w/ the grey ranger? he did very well from the pics i see.

Originally posted by Digger196
is RockRanger the guy w/ the grey ranger? he did very well from the pics i see.

yup that is me. Truck worked great. I think i tryed every obsicale and made all but 1. I need some lower gears to stop stalling and be able to make it a smoother ride.

Matt

Cool Matt!

well after spending about the last 3 hours trying to look at all the pics. still need to see matt adams, I think some of the pics of my truck are some of the best I have seen of it. Thanks to all those that have taken the pics. cant wait to see the rest as they continue to be posted.

Anyone know if there is a way to post offroader69me video of double wammy? it was some cool video.

Matt

What a Blast!

Check out the flying funnel, water jug and the open tool box :D
Dead Link Removed

That was hilarious. I was hoping someone could get a Double Whammy photo of the split second when all four of Matt’s tires were airborne and the entire contents of his pickup bed were exploding in various directions away from terra-firma:D and that picture can’t be more than a tenth of a second off of that moment in time. Great shot!

Rick, thanks for the AmSoil long distance award gift. Geez I feel I deserve it now that I got home, 1950 miles away. I’m too old to drive a thousand mile day, much less two back-to-back; and dang if I didn’t do that twice, going out there and back. The trip back was a real killer after having already done that and also wheeled hard for three days while there. I need another week to recuperate, LOL.

As always the Moab event was indescribably great and it was a true pleasure to run with old friends and make new ones. Here’s my favorite photos from the trip. I didn’t get many good ones but these stood out.

Does anyone know the real reason they call Jared “Six Tire Doty”? Check out his e-brake system, LOL :rolleyes:

Group shot of the BigDawgs above the Golden Crack with the Colorado River in the background.

Group shot Sunday on Metal Masher at the rim.

My favorite action photo from the weekend. This is RockRanger taking on "Widowmaker" on the Metal Masher trail. Yes he did make it, and so did Michael.

Here’s Aquaman conquering Wipe Out Hill on the Seven Mile Rim trail. The picture does absolutely no justice to the difficulty of the obstacle and I wish I had a better shot of the event. He had already made it up when this was taken. Talk to any of us there; this one was no picnic; fairly scary and vertical. The reason this makes my “Best Shots” list is because he made it up Wipe Out Hill with just a limited slip. John you're an animal. Unbelievable!

Here’s RockRanger going up Wipe Out Hill. I’m including it to give another perspective on the obstacle that Aquaman made.

Okay I have to include at least one of me. I ran all of Golden Spike and never took a strap and walked right through both the Golden Crack and Double Whammy! Two more notches for my grocery getter :bounce:

I went to Moab this time with my old front bumper; willing to sacrifice it and knowing that it would not survive the Golden Crack without getting ripped off of the vehicle. When we got there, a previous group had "rockstacked" and "logstacked" bigtime to fill up the crack.

Wimps :rolleyes:

Our group threw all that $h!t out of the way and went at it like we were supposed to. I made it through without having to back up and as a matter of fact our entire group did the same thing with no strapping or major damage. Here is a photo of me while in the process of not sacrificing my front end to the Moab gods.

And here’s a great articulation photo that I captured of the Great Pumpkin there.

How hard was Metal Masher? Try your hand at “Rock Chucker”, the first major obstacle right before Mirror Gulch. Michael was the only one to make it, and here he is after going over. I have another photo of him going up it but it hides the obstacle and doesn’t show how insane it really is, so I’m posting this one that shows better what he successfully went up. Congrats Michael!

Others have already posted their angles, but I have to duplicate and show my shot too. At the Wedgie on the Poison Spider Mesa Trail, we asked Jefe if he wanted air, he said yes, so Char spotted him to get his air. Result: great Money Shot! Be careful what you ask Char for, she might deliver!

Here’s a good one of Brian grinding away up the Waterfall on Poison Spider Mesa. Although it doesn’t look steep in the photo, the angle from where I took the photo above him should give a clue as to the true angle of the climb. This was Trckmagik’s first time to Moab. I have a feeling he’ll be back :)

The following photo is a bit of duplication, since Rick already posted a shot of offroad_69_me from behind, going up the Launch Pad on the Golden Spike trail (with the caption “it really IS this steep! No trick photography here!).

But I got Marshall at the same instant from a side angle and it is too good not to post. If roller coasters or offcamber scare you this is not the trail to get on. What a blast!

The famous offcamber ledge above Wipe Out Hill on the Seven Mile Rim trail. Aquaman made it with his spare tire on top. We need to get Heath on this trail and watch the fun :D

In closing, I’d like to point out that everyone makes their mark in life. Mine happens to be about 18 inches long, and I left it on Seven Mile Rim :D

----------------
Random Ramblings:
I'm not going to spend my typical pages of type discussing the whole weekend. If you want to know, then you'll just have to come next time :p.
-----------------
I'm truly sorry Ray Lobato had problems and got stopped short. We did have various carnage with many vehicles including mine, especially on Golden Spike. I am now convinced that an onboard welder is essential equipment on any 4+ rated trail.
-------------------
I wish I had gotten more pics of other vehicles, but I was always in front and didn't get many good shots. I hope to get in the middle next time and see more of what is happening on the trail.
--------------------
Randall, please get a tranny! You've built an awesome vehicle and I could not imagine the heartache of taking the trouble to travel all the way out to Moab and then end up in a copilot seat again for the second time :( If you won't do it for yourself, then do it for us. Say I can do it I can do it I can do it.... :)
-----------------------
It is highly debatable whether we as a group will schedule Moab during this time of year again. Friday and Saturday it was well over 100 degrees :eek: . We are discussing turning future Explorer Moab events into a "Moab Colors Run" in mid November.
------------------------
My sincere thanks go out to everyone who helped me Sunday morning get my vehicle back in shape for another day's run. Especially mrboyle who did 90% of the work on my u-joints and also Mudd*****: who just happened to have bought the same type of addaleaf that I broke, and just happened to not put them on his Explorer yet, and who just happened to bring them with him anyway.... what are the odds of that occuring?
------------------------
I had a blast on Golden Spike. I plan attend next year's Easter Jeep Safari and do my very best to place myself smack dab in the middle of the Golden Spike group and try to get magazine coverage as a "Sleeper" vehicle showing what a "nearly-stock" Explorer can do as I easily walk right through the Golden Crack, Double Whammy, and the rest of the trail. It should prove very fun if it works out.

Be there. :D

Gerald, my flex shot didn't show up. You have duplicates of yours in there :D

Fixed it

Camera Hog. :D

Nice pics Gerald!!! And hey, my e-brake system works just fine :D

Re: What a Blast!

Originally posted by GJarrett
Others have already posted their angles, but I have to duplicate and show my shot too. At the Wedgie on the Poison Spider Mesa Trail, we asked Jefe if he wanted air, he said yes, so Char spotted him to get his air. Result: great Money Shot! Be careful what you ask Char for, she might deliver!
Actually Gerald, the point at which I new something would go awry was when you said "This one should be good, he's got IFS". :rolleyes: . . . :D

Well it was good while it lasted.
Sandy and I finally made it home, after spending a few more days in Moab than we wanted to. I dammaged both the upper and lower ball joints and bent the steering knuckle and hub assembly. Had to order parts from Salt Lake City. After replacing the hub assembly, upper and lower ball joints, My tire was still rubbing against the upper ball joint extender, which meant that my steering knuckle was also bent. I managed to kluge it together by adding 2 washers to the top bolt of the hub assembly so it would push out the tire enough to keep it from rubbing. Then I had to add washers to the calipers to get them to line up with the rotor. It worked!
Sandy and I made it back home Thursday night.
Sandy and I would like to thank Kevin Cross, Christine and Wade, Rick and Char, Jared's Dad, and MrBoyle for all thier help. We really appreciated all you guys did for us.

All I got to say now is SOLID AXLE!

I'll try and post what few pictures I have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by TarHeel085
wow howd you do that Ray?

I hit a small rock ledge going TOO FAST going up Poison Spider Mesa. It caused my tire to rub up against the upper balljoint extension. I had to Borrow Kevin Cross's spare 29" tire in order to get it off the trail and back to the Motel.

You can see where the ball joint extender was cutting into my tire here.
3P.jpg

The rotor should be straight up and down. You can tell that it is not straight, the top points in more than the bottom.
3Q.jpg

You can see at the top of the balljoint extender and just below the upper balljoint where the tire was rubbing.
Thanks to Kevin Cross for the pictures.
3R.jpg

My truck with Kevins tire on it.
3S.jpg

Back