• Register Today It's free!

Back lights and paint

Thrice310

Reaction score
City, State
Malibu Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
First: Is there any paint that will stick over chrome to paint the bumper?
Also, i've heard that theres colored spray that you can use on the back lights to make them smoked or black etc, and i was wondering if anyone knew where this spray could be purchased if it did exist

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is possible to paint over the chrome, but the process is hard to perfect. You'll need to rough it up with sandpaper, and then spray a few coats of high quality etching primer. This allows the paint to stick. Follow that up with your base color, then clearcoat. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you might want to take it to a body shop so the finish will last a little longer.

For tinting tail lights, check out this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79207

You can do the bumper your self but like Hartman said the body shop would be the easyist.

Here is my smoked lights:
DSC00358.jpg

Would It be possible for me to have totally white lights on the back to go with my explorer that where still functional? Im just wondering...

you mean clear tail lights?

its possible yes.
is it illegal? Yes
Do people still use them anyways? yes
can you buy them at a store? NO, you have to buy them from a person who already has them

it all depends on how nice your cops in your area are....i drove for 2 years with no problems with the clear tail lights on my old explorer and i am getting a set of clears for my new explorer in about a week.

Another alternative is to red-out the stock tail lights. Gives your stock lights a much cleaner look, IMO, for only a few bucks. You can use Testors Candy Apple Red paint...

Originally posted by EliteConcept
you mean clear tail lights?

its possible yes.
is it illegal? Yes
Do people still use them anyways? yes
can you buy them at a store? NO, you have to buy them from a person who already has them

it all depends on how nice your cops in your area are....i drove for 2 years with no problems with the clear tail lights on my old explorer and i am getting a set of clears for my new explorer in about a week.

I too am interested in not necessarily whiting out the rears but making them lighter to go w/ the pearl paint. Any ideas to make the red plastic lighter? I was thinking to take a toothbrush and "flick" the paint on so it's spotted with tiny tiny paint spots....or maybe not. I dunno..........

Back