• Register Today It's free!

Bad TPS?

N2MUDN91

Reaction score
City, State
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ranger
The Exporer seems to idle fine. Steadly about 800 rpm.
While in P or N, if I push on the accelerator and get the rpms (say 1500 or so(it does it no matter what rpm)) up and keep it steady, the rpms are no steady. They range from 1400-1600.
Also, under hard accel. through first gear (auto) it sputters the whole time, by then I normally let off because its irritating. But if Im going 30 or so, and downshift to first (by flooring it) it doesn't sputter and it accels just fine.
While normal driving, I can feel the rpms "ranging" but its less noticable while moving. From a stop, If I lay into it, it doesnt launch like it should. Instead, it chooses to stumble/hesitate. And sometimes, even backfire.
If you think it could be something else, let me know. Im no mechanic but this just seems like something it could be.
Let me know what you think.

Shane

You said you changed your plugs right? Are they arcing? I changed the plugs on a friends Calilier and it did the same. One plug was arcing. Not throwing any codes?

Havnt changed the plugs yet. No CEL.

No CEL doesn't always mean no codes. And as easy as it is to run the self-tests on your '91, that's where I would start.

Back