Bad Wiper Blades? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Wiper Blades?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude you have one sensitive foot !!!!

I guess so, I can feel a lot of internal vibrations through the brake pedal, like the radio bass. Not sure if it is a defect or not. Never noticed in my previous vehicle. I read this was an issue in other Ford vehicles when I did a search.

Definitely have the exact same issue reported here. I ordered replacements not realizing they were covered under warranty. Might take it in to get swapped before putting the new ones on to see if it fixes the issue.

Can report even with rain-x I still get the heavy smear on the back stroke. Most pronounced on the driver's side. I'll try aftermarket blades. I think something is up if everyone is having the same problem.

I do a lot of highway driving and it is not safe in heavy rain. Can't see anything through the smear.

Can report even with rain-x I still get the heavy smear on the back stroke. Most pronounced on the driver's side. I'll try aftermarket blades. I think something is up if everyone is having the same problem.

I do a lot of highway driving and it is not safe in heavy rain. Can't see anything through the smear.

Mullinax replaced mine with new wipers over the holidays when mine was in for service and I mentioned to Steve that it still had the smear even with the new ones. Don't know that he reported it into Ford though.

Mullinax replaced mine with new wipers over the holidays when mine was in for service and I mentioned to Steve that it still had the smear even with the new ones. Don't know that he reported it into Ford though.

Good deal. I'll report again about mine if I am back at the dealership. I doubt this will ever amount to anything with Ford. Probably just have to keep Rain X on regularly and experiment with different brand blades.

Mine were **** from the factory. Had the dealer replace them and now they are better.

Got mine replaced at the dealer. Better, not great. Still have a streak towards the end of the blades, but the big one in the center of the windshield is gone.

So I also have a Pontiac G8 with the same size driver's blade and the same style attachment. My G8 blades happen to be OEM and brand new. I just swapped the G8 driver's blade onto the Explorer and the wipe is about 80% better. Still not perfect, but much better. I believe GM used a Valeo blade as OEM.

So this tells me the Motorcraft blades haven't been so great in quality. But there is still a very slight smear on the down stroke. This smear is reduced very significantly though. But there must be some windshield, or arm pressure issue to always have the smear present. I am keeping the G8 blade on the Explorer for now and will order another new one for my G8.

I haven't been back to the dealer yet. I have a few outstanding recall notices and a lane centering issue that I need to get in for. I'll ask the dealer about wipers when I go in. I almost hate buying a new car. I have been working on my own cars for 25 years and hate having to wait on a dealership to do anything for me.
Get used to the idea of making the trip. Considering the amount of specialized equip needed now days to work on a vehicle, doing so at home is becoming a thing of the past.

Michelin Ensurance XT silicone beam are supposed to be very good. They are expensive.
What matters most ? One's ability to see in bad weather conditions or, going cheap on the wiper blades ? The majority here are driving a $50 +k vehicle. Pop with the coin for top notch blades already ! Your loved ones lives are riding on it !

Welcome to the Forum Mikey.:wave:

Peter

So for all of the folks who have gone to after market wiper blades, what brand have you gone to ? In other word what is the wiper of choice ?

So for all of the folks who have gone to after market wiper blades, what brand have you gone to ? In other word what is the wiper of choice ?

I went with Bosch Icons and they still streak. I'm pretty sure it's the design of the wiper arm that sucks or the pressure is off somehow.

Hi Gang
I haven't had my new ST for 2 full weeks yet, but I have had some rain storms that show some flaws in the front wipers. It's probably just less than great wiper blades, but they have left streaks and have not flopped over to pull water from the windshield at times causing a poor wipe and some noise.

I guess it's not a deal breaker, but still surprising that I might need to replace wiper blades at less than 3 weeks of ownership.

Have any of the rest of you noticed less than stellar results with your wiper blades?

John in Wisconsin

My wiper blades from the factory work perfect.

Or, as I mentioned before, maybe there's an issue with some of the windshields.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ours were so bad i couldn't see at night...dealer replaced them and i added the orange rain X windshield wiper cleaner and now its perfect.

Back