BAFFLING ELECTRICAL ISSUE 2018 PIU, OBD CONNECTOR | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BAFFLING ELECTRICAL ISSUE 2018 PIU, OBD CONNECTOR

Ducky7425

Reaction score
City, State
WhiteHouse, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 FORD PIU
I bought a 2018 PIU at auction with 122,000 miles. listing said it was towed in and would not go into gear. I arranged a tow and was baffled to watch (via ring camera) the tow truck driver start it and pull it in my driveway. When I got home I hooked up a charger and plugged into the obd connector with forscan, I saved then cleared a bunch of communication codes. drove it with the wireless OBD connector still in. There was a leftover OBD!! extender cable left behind which I removed. Everything looked great. Drove great, was super excitied. At some point I needed my OBDII adapter for something else. I removed it. In about 5 seconds the dash lit up with all sorts of warning lights, the radio went dead, lighting went out and the dash eventually shut off. I turned the key off and the vehicle kept running. I plugged the OBDII connector back in and everything came back on. I had multiple communication error codes. Cleared them. As long as I have a connector of any type plugged into the OBDII port everything is fine. The moment I pull it out, I lose communication. I got a Dorman replacement gateway module last night (the OBDII conector and circuitry, one piece module) and installed. I thought this would be the fix but I still have the same issue. I checked all fuses, nothing is blown. I am baffled here. I can leave my wireless dongle plugged in but I would really like to fix. I also bought an MPS remote start kit and started to install with the new gateway module but it won't do anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have no idea about the OBDII connector issue but for the remote start does the vehicle have the hood switch installed?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have no idea about the OBDII connector issue but for the remote start does the vehicle have the hood switch installed?

Peter
It does and remote start menu and remote start enable in BCM and IPC. Cattot even get power to set it up though. Have pinoits from forum to check for power ground ound

Back