Banging noise on acceleration in 2wd mode, goes away when 4wd auto selected | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Banging noise on acceleration in 2wd mode, goes away when 4wd auto selected

ChrisKeith23

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 4x4
So I've had this front end banging noise for about the last couple years on my X. A few other threads have described the problem, but none offer a concrete solution. its a banging noise that sounds like the 4wd is trying to engage when it shouldn't be. on acceleration, and light throttle, even de-acceleration sometimes. So i guess, my question is.. Is this most likely a transfer case, transfer case shift motor, or front axle disconnect issue. Lets remember the banging stops once 4wd auto is selected and 4x4 auto and low both seem to work very well and engage properly when selected, so why does 2wd mode clunk?? Thanks

Could be difference in tire diameter front to rear, normal tire wear, causing the awd function to kick on. Your style transfer case does not have true 2wd.. search brown wire mod for more info

Vacuum axle disconnect maybe? I’m not smart on that system, just spitballing

I thought the 95/96 models did have a true 2wd transfer case, whereas the 97+ models were more or less computer controlled 4wd. Hopefully I will be able to use my grandpas lift within the next few days and take a look under there and I will report back.

Back