• Register Today It's free!

Battery Cable Replacement

kruegerk

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
The wife's 2004 explorer has a pretty corroded positive battery cable. I've searched for a replacement OEM from ford and that part is discontinued. Curious what others have done to replace battery cables? I found some positive cables at places like O'Reilly's and I'd probably end up wiretieing the new to the old wire loom as one option or try and find fittings and make my own cable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, those are all your options. NOS OEM which isn't going to be easy to find, store bought, or build one yourself. I like building them, but I also have a crimper which makes it easy to put a lug on.

Amazon product ASIN B07X2WS3L4

The wife's 2004 explorer has a pretty corroded positive battery cable. I've searched for a replacement OEM from ford and that part is discontinued. Curious what others have done to replace battery cables? I found some positive cables at places like O'Reilly's and I'd probably end up wiretieing the new to the old wire loom as one option or try and find fittings and make my own cable?
Replacement battery cables need three MAIN things: thick copper conductor, usually many small diameter wires twisted together, high quality insulation having reasonably high temperature and oil resistance (like Neoprene), and heavy, solid terminal ends well-attached to the wire in the cable.

These are the commonest terminals seen, good, but not best. They are made of lead, with steel fasteners. Lead is reasonably resistant to the ever-present acid fumes.

1628634214585.png

I use arc welding cable as current-carrying replacements, as it is pliant and well-insulated. Heavy cable of AWG (American Wire Gauge) size 2 or larger is preferred, this depending on LENGTH of the cable. The ends opposite to the battery terminals may use heavy duty crimp-on solid copper terminals having a hole to accommodate a bolt for good tight electrical connection. The battery terminals and battery posts should be liberally coated with high grade grease (vaseline is good) to isolate them from acid fumes. All connections must be tight. Below is a crimp type terminal suitable to mounting with a screw:

1628634820451.png

Terminals such as the above should be affixed to the copper cable which is first tinned with solder, then the crimped assembly soldered together.

Any auto electric business could make this for you. Custom.

Good luck.

Back