• Register Today It's free!

battery cable screw up???????

Techmonster

Reaction score
City, State
St. Cloud, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
cleaned battery cables this morning. Went to start it and starts fine, but three seconds into it running it gives off the loudest SCREAMING noise you could think of, almost sound like the starter is not disegaging from the flywheel. So replaced the starter. Still does the same thing. Now i am second guessing myself if i put all the battery cables back to the right spots. The starter switch that is mounted to the inner fenderwall passenger side i may have screwed something up. I'm lost...anyone run into this before and does anyone have a picture of how the cables are suppose to be run on there.
VERY DESPERATE NOW!!!
Never had this problem before i cleaned the terminal and cables why not...thanks for all the speedy help
94 explorer
Thanks
Bryan

Did you happen to get any of the cleaning fluid you used on the belts??? Don't think screaming engine would be related to cleaning/replacing the battery cables themselves....

Did you use a wirs brush?

I'm at a loss for more answers other than a wire from the brush jumpering the terminals. This would crank the vehicle even with the key out. You can jumper the two large terminals and it will crank the engine at any time. These terminals operate the solenoid on the starter that throws in the gear and switches the really large current.

On this year, the battery post on this solenoid is used fro the distribution point for the battery. Extra wires will be on this terminal.

Back