Battery light stays on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery light stays on

wmeades

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have an 05 Sporttrac and the battery light came on the other day though the charging gauge shows good charging. Well, today, it stranded my wife at work. I went by and was able to jump it off and get it home. On further inspection it seemed the battery was very weak. I had it tested....bad. I replaced the battery and it immediately started, I checked charging with a meter, charging fine. But the little red battery light is still on....any suggestions?
thanks
Will

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump...anybody have any ideas?
thanks

hmmm interesting

are you getting 14.4 volts at the battery, during idle?

the battery light is directly related to the power wire for your alternators internal voltage regulator

If the light is on, usually it means you are not charging, or the voltage has dropped below 12 .........

so at idle, what are you showing at the battery? this will tell you if the alternator is charging, it may be you needed an alternator and not a battery.

hmmm interesting

are you getting 14.4 volts at the battery, during idle?

the battery light is directly related to the power wire for your alternators internal voltage regulator

If the light is on, usually it means you are not charging, or the voltage has dropped below 12 .........

so at idle, wha' are you showing at the battery? this will tell you if the alternator is charging, it may be you needed an alternator and not a battery.

you are probably right. The jack-legs at autozone brought their big 'machine' out and checked it before I bought the battery and said that the alternator was fine. I have a very old meter that I have loaned out several times and it was showing about 14.5 volts, but would show that with the engine off....know that can't be right. So I picked up a new meter today. I checked the battery before starting the engine 12.41 volts. I cranked it up and let it idle....11.94 volts, I had my wife hold it at 2k rpms, the same. Before I take it in, is there any fuse or fuses that I should check? it's an 2005 sport trac
thanks for your help
Will

well your alternator is not putting out a charge then, all you are measuring is the battery....and it will continue to go lower.

If there is an external regulator - check that first

there is a terminal on the alternator that you can ground (you will need to look that up), and the alternator will give full output - this will determine if it's the regulator or alternator.

good luck.

The "jack-legs" should be able to test the alternator also for free if you take it off for them.

Well, I removed the alternator and took it by Oreilly's to test. As thought, it's bad. So i'll be replacing it Saturday morning. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
will

Did that fix the light? I have the same problem. I have replaced both battery and alternator but that pesky light remains.

Back