• Register Today It's free!

Battery losing power at idle

headrush

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
I've got a '97 4.0 SOHC and had this issue lately where I'll be sitting at a stoplight idling and my battery voltage will go up and down, up and down...my instrument cluster will dim and so will my headlights. I just replaced the battery and the alternator is about a year old. When it's doing this the radio is usually turned on, along with the ac/heat. Could my alternator be the culprit (I've still got it under warranty)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a defective alty. Did you put a new surp. belt on when you changed the alty? How about the idler pully? They get week after some time and might not put enough tension on the belt.

Nope haven't changed either one...relatively easy fix/replacement?

Sounds like a bad alternator. The alternator is very easy to replace. Removing the belt might be a little tricky - auto stores sell alternator belt removal tools that makes the job easier.

Guess I'll get the alternator tested first and see what the results are. I take it the IAC valve wouldn't be the issue since it seems more related to the electrical part of my vehicle? I haven't cleaned it in a while but will tonight.

When my IAC valve was bad, wouldn't dim the lights. Just stall the engine if I wasn't pressing the gas pedal.

Ok I've had the battery, alternator and starter checked at two different auto parts stores...both say all three are working/running great. I've done a fuel injection cleaning and replaced the fuel filter recently...one guy mentioned the EGR valve being a possible source of the problem...any of you have any thoughts on cleaning/replacement?

The battery cables themselves can corrode underneath the plastic insulation near the cable ends. I have read of this causing similar problems to what you describe on here. Worth a shot to look at.

Back