Engine losing power / oil gauge going nuts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine losing power / oil gauge going nuts

P0300
P0171
P0174

I did the plugs and wires about 10k miles ago. I'll start working on some of the other things this weekend.

The intake manifold gaskets are in pretty bad shape too. I imagine that could not be helping much. I bought the parts but the job seemed pretty daunting so I've been sitting on them for 6 months.

171 and 174 are lean codes for both banks, while the 300 is random misfires. Focus on the lean codes first. When both banks pop up like that it's usually one of two things, intake vacuum leak or low fuel pressure. The random misfires could be a symptom of that if a cylinder leans out to the point that the engine can't add enough timing to compensate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can do it! Intake plenum gaskets are not that bad

You can bench test your injectors while you are in there if you wish. You can replace the O rings and injector seats, heck a new set of reman flow matched injectors is like well under $100. Good idea to replace the thermostat housing if you have not already.
This is not an expensive repair and the labor is not too bad when you do it yourself.

I am sure you have seen threads about replacing them since you have been sitting on the parts for so long.
Running around with the engine running lean is not a good idea.
Those codes mean that the computer has tried to compensate for the extra oxygen in your exhaust by dumping fuel, and still it was not enough to overcome the lean condition on both banks.
Running lean can blow a hole in your piston
So its a good idea to get those codes fixed like yesterday

Okay so looks like I just need to put on my big boy pants and do these gaskets. @BTR & @410Fortune said while I'm in there I should be looking at some others things as well:

O-Rings: Which ones?
PCV Valve: Just replace it or check it?
Fuel Injectors/Associated Gaskets & O-Rings: Since the truck is old and obviously having issues should I just go ahead and replace all of this?
Temperature Sensors: Just replace?
Plastic Intake Manifold: Check thoroughly for damage.
Thermostat Housing: Inspect and probably just plan on replacing (seems like these are notorious?)
Thoroughly check for vacuum leaks.
Anything else that I should add to this list?

hermostat Housing: Inspect and probably just plan on replacing (seems
Buy a all aluminum housing ;)

O rings =
intake plenum gaskets upper and lower
The intake gasket kit should come with EGR, IAC, and all intake plenum related rings

Consider buying set of flow match bosch injectors from ebay they will come with new O rings
OR you can bench test/clean your injectors and screens then replace the O rings (2 O rings each injector)
6 new injector seats (brittle plastic rings the injectors sit in)

PCV valve, I just shake them, inspect, have been known to clean them

I use a flexible extension for my dewalt 20v impact, makes removing/installing the SOHC intake screws a breeze., I think they are torx 30, but dont quote me on that. Make sure you have all the needed tools. The 4 screws to the back of the intake can be a pita, but get easier each time

AUTOTOOLHOME 2pc Flexible Extension Drill Bit Holder Flex Shaft Impact Driver for Hand Ratchet Screwdriver Bits Quick Change Magnetic 1/4 Hex Shank - - Amazon.com

@Daniel V – You state that you have a 2000 4.0 SOHC XLT 224,000 miles. Please update your vehicle description to include the following:
  • 2WD or 4WD?
  • Manual transmission or 5-speed automatic O/D transmission 5R55E?
  • Job 1 or Job 2 engine? Job 1 engines were manufactured through 07/23/00; they have aluminum valve covers with the oil fill cap on the driver's side; they have a multi-piece intake manifold whose O-rings don’t last. Job 2 engines were manufactured after 07/23/00; they have black plastic valve covers with the oil filler cap on the passenger side; they have a 1-piece intake manifold with better sealing O-rings and the PCV valve is located at the rear of the driver's side valve cover.
FIRST
Before you remove or disconnect anything! With a cold engine at idle, take the opportunity to identify vacuum leaks. There are MANY parts, gaskets, O-rings, and vacuum hoses that might be leaking vacuum. Given you plan to tear into the intake system, you’ll want to identify leaks now… so you’ll know what to replace. Look for vacuum leaks by spraying the suspected leaking surfaces with Brakleen (the flammable kind). If the engine revs up, then you’ve identified a leak. Make sure to spray at multiple locations around and under the intake manifold, especially in the rear where all of the PCV stuff is located.

SECOND
Know that by taking things apart, you’ll (likely) create new vacuum leaks. Given the age of your truck, this is (almost) inevitable because rubber and plastic become brittle and inflexible over time. After you put everything back together, perform the Brakleen test again.

THIRD
Regarding which parts to replace (since you’ll already have the intake manifold removed), here’s a comprehensive list… and some tips to make your repairs more successful:

Air filter – Inexpensive; use “regular filtration” filters (not “super, extra, incredible” filtration filters) and replace often!
Fuel filter – Inexpensive; get a loaner disconnect tool from the auto parts store.
PCV valve – Inexpensive; use only a Motorcraft valve!
O-Ring on engine crankcase vent valve (aka oil separator assembly) – Check the assembly for leaks; it’s plastic and made of two pieces; seal it where the two pieces are joined. Replace the O-ring.
All O-rings and gaskets between the upper and lower intake manifolds.
All O-rings and gaskets between the intake manifold and the heads.
All O-rings and gaskets where the EGR tube (use Vaseline or assembly lube on the O-ring when installing it to ensure it slides into the correct position inside the intake manifold), IAC, and any other connections are made to the intake manifold.
Fuel injectors – Order by stamp number. Instead of installing new injectors, consider using OEM injectors that have been rebuilt. Consider buying set of flow-matched Bosch injectors; make sure they come with new O-rings!
Fuel injector seats – They’re plastic; they become brittle.

FOURTH
At the rear of the black, plastic thermostat housing, there will be 1 or 2 sensors. They may be threaded in, or clipped in, one or the other.
The ECT sensor is on the driver’s side and it’s gray-colored. It reports to the PCM and affects engine performance. If this sensor was not operating properly on the day you said it was 105-degrees outside, then it’s faulty operation could have been the cause of your truck starting to decelerate when you had the cruise control ON.
The Engine Temperature Sender is on the passenger side and it’s brown or orange colored. It doesn’t report to the PCM and doesn’t affect engine performance. It simply drives the temperature gauge on the dashboard.
Consider installing an all-aluminum thermostat housing.
Install a new thermostat, ECT sensor, Engine Temperature Sender, and all associated gaskets and O-rings.

FIFTH
It can be difficult to remove the intake manifold by disconnecting the EGR tube from the manifold. A way around this is to remove the two bolts holding the EGR tube to the EGR valve. Then, remove the manifold and the EGR tube as one piece.

From my past experience on fuel pumps I've noticed this. My celica had pump issues allot.

One sometimes the pcm shuts it off as in bad cpu. This has happened to me. Intermittently cutting pump. Sitting then ok.

Another thing I've had is it overheat a failing pump from low fuel. Low fuel doesn't fully submerge pump. It uses gas to cool it. Running on low tank often especially in hot weather wears these in tank pumps out faster. Maybe previous owner ran it low often.

Dont know if that helps but something to think about it.

Forgot to mention when my pcm caused pump to shut off a reset of it would get it running again. Try resetting the system after it wont start. If it starts right after I'd think its pcm or electrical then

I'm gathering the parts for this job and watching a ton of videos. I plan on getting started this weekend with inspection and disassembly and then installation of new parts and reassembly next weekend.

Thanks to everybody for the all of the great tips and I will report back as I progress.

Here is where I'm currently at on this job. Scheduling conflict last weekend so I just got started today.

20200905_162043.jpg
20200905_162052.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to install the new to me fuel injectors and seats and few other misc parts that I picked up.

Going to spend the rest of my "work" day cleaning up the intakes and some other pieces

So far so good, have not really had much trouble with the job been taking it slow

I used videos by "AJ Pierce" on youtube for getting the intakes off. He backtracks a few times but I really like it because he explains what size of socket to use etc etc.

@Daniel V - While you have it taken apart, can you tell me if there's a plastic box underneath the area I highlighted in the pic below? I've not yet taken my 2000 4.0L SOHC JOB1 apart, but I (believe) there's a box attached to the vacuum hose that comes off the bottom of the PCV valve. I'm curious to know if there's a box there. I've read that the gasket (not sure, but I think it's an O-ring) on the bottom of the box is a known source for a vacuum leak.

1599398439708.png

Nicely done! Do not overlook the green EGR O ring...a new one can be had, some vaseline helps it slide into place without pinching or tearing

@Daniel V - While you have it taken apart, can you tell me if there's a plastic box underneath the area I highlighted in the pic below? I've not yet taken my 2000 4.0L SOHC JOB1 apart, but I (believe) there's a box attached to the vacuum hose that comes off the bottom of the PCV valve. I'm curious to know if there's a box there. I've read that the gasket (not sure, but I think it's an O-ring) on the bottom of the box is a known source for a vacuum leak.

View attachment 320983

It is in there and I am going to pull it out and I inspect it

@410Fortune I did get a new one of those :)

My first snag and it seems pretty minor. The back left seat for the fuel Injector did not come out with the actual injector like the rest of them did and it is just falling apart when I try to snag it. Probably going to try gently wedging a small screwdriver in there to break it and get it out.

Well I completed the repairs and reassembled everything... I'm going to snag the code reader from work tomorrow and see what it says but the engine seems to be running ro8gher than it was before the repairs. Used carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks but I got no result in the obvious places. I still need to replace the fuel filter and change the oil and oil filter. I did snap a screw when I was reattaching the iac so I'll replace that tomorrow as well.

@410Fortune - Can you help me? I need some help! 2000 4.0L SOHC JOB1 engine in 4-Door 2WD Explorer XLT. I'm pretty sure there's a coolant leak somewhere in the plastic thermostat housing or in the small, stubby (about 4" long) coolant hose immediately in front of the housing. I'm trying to take the plastic upper intake manifold off... so I can get to the housing and hose. However, after removing 6 star screws, the upper manifold won't budge. Can you tell me how to proceed? Many thanks!

@410Fortune - Can you help me? I need some help! 2000 4.0L SOHC JOB1 engine in 4-Door 2WD Explorer XLT. I'm pretty sure there's a coolant leak somewhere in the plastic thermostat housing or in the small, stubby (about 4" long) coolant hose immediately in front of the housing. I'm trying to take the plastic upper intake manifold off... so I can get to the housing and hose. However, after removing 6 star screws, the upper manifold won't budge. Can you tell me how to proceed? Many thanks!

There are 8 screws 3 front 3 back and one each on either side of the IAC. I took the IAC off but you dont need to do that.

I took the 4 star screws out of the IAC attachment area. Where are the 2? I.e., the 2 on either side of the IAC?

IMG_20200907_1403533_rewind.jpg

I marked them in Orange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20200907_110506.jpg
20200907_110519.jpg

There is room for a tool to fit in there you will feel like a rounded part on the intake

Back