• Register Today It's free!

Battery Voltage Issue

BigRed22

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XL
When the engine is running my battery voltage gauge bounces back and forth. Not sure what the reading is but it bounces around medium high. My battery and alternator are less than a year old. Could it be the voltage reg?

Also, Any tips to cure a rough idle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get a tester on it while running first to make sure the gauge is correct. A rough idle could be caused by this possibly too if voltage is running low. Once you get the voltage problem fixed then see if your rough idle goes away.

Hi i got the same THING and its ok. Nothing to worry about, i just went through 3 alternators and 2 starters but everything thing seems fine now. My volt gauge reads high a few mintues after start and flicks between middle and red line. Battery light pops on at high volts, just rev the motor and it drops down to normal. Dont waste time playing with wires or new parts. This is just how these things operate. Glad yo be of help!

Ps i replaced alternator starter battery tps iac mas wiring harnesses gall-or and nothing makes a difference

Bouncing volt gauges are not normal. Check for corroded/loose connections at battery / alternator terminals and grounds. Also check body grounds.

Bouncing volt gauges are not normal. Check for corroded/loose connections at battery / alternator terminals and grounds. Also check body grounds.
Already did and it didnt change anything plus the volts going high are not hurting anything. No blown fuses no swelling battery, starts and drives just fine leading me to believe this isnt a problem.

Back