Voltage bouncing around?? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Voltage bouncing around??

Keith303

Reaction score
City, State
edmonton,alberta,canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91XLT
Hi, I have a 91 and I just had my battery tested and it was all good, So I figured that maybe my alternator was going. I just had the alternator replaced and the voltage needle still bounces around when not on throttle.

The interior lights also flicker slightly. with my old alternator my bat voltage was reaching 16.8 volts, now its 15 at the very highest. So my old alternator was deffinatly messed.

Im just at a loss for what the needle would bounce and lights still flicker?

I hope i didnt just spend 200$ for nothing, but im putting a sub in soon so I figured better get a new alt regaudless.

thx

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

studd469

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Limited
Do you have any subs or amps or aux lighting anything that is putting a draw on your charging system?

Keith303

Reaction score
City, State
edmonton,alberta,canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91XLT

vervepipes

Reaction score
City, State
Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
My k5's guage was bouncing around when the alternator's adjustment bolt got loose and slocked the belt, is your belt tight and in good shape?

Keith303

Reaction score
City, State
edmonton,alberta,canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91XLT
ya, everything that I can think of relating is in optimal condition, is there a outside regulated source?,

b0ne

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
My voltage gauge is doing the same thing, it bounces around at idle. The moment I put my foot on the gas, it steadies (completely stock 1991 XLT).

I've watched it for a while, and I noticed that it bounces in a very specific pattern... first there's a short bounce, then a long one, then a short one, etc. and it seems to match the feel of the engine's idle. This leads me to believe (on my Explorer anyway) that maybe the alternator or pulley has a slippery spot or a bad spot somewhere, I don't know. It just seems to match the engine's idle, but I could be wrong.

Edited to add, my lights don't flicker at all, though.

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
What amp alt are you guys using? Maybe you need the 130amp upgraded one.
Maybe bad/loose cables/connections?

Keith303

Reaction score
City, State
edmonton,alberta,canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91XLT
i just got a stock 90 amp, so the regulator is internal?, 90 is easily sufficient