bbk 66mm help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swordfish94x

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4dr 2wd Explorer
Whats up guys, just have a quick question. I have a flowmaster 10(super loud), and k&n oversized filter that deletes the box. I'm wondering if the bbk 66mm is worth getting. I also wonder that if I do get it, should I get a tune and what programmer/chip would work best? if your wondering its the 96 4.0 ohv.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subbed for the outcome.
I am running a 3" cold air &3" single cat exhaust, and am looking for more, as well.
Greg

I think the general consensus is that everything on a V8 is a waste of money short of headers. A better y pipe might help a little too but headers are about all that's worth the trouble. Intake does virtually nothing and short of changing out the cam you won't see much gain. The 5.0 Explorer already has the GT40 intake so that flows well from the factory.

I was going to swap cams when my engine was being rebuild but I decided against it since it was my daily and I didn't want to start playing with it and creating headaches for myself like every other vehicle I've owned. I wish my truck had more power but I still do not regret my decision to keep my cam stock.

I think the general consensus is that everything on a V8 is a waste of money short of headers. A better y pipe might help a little too but headers are about all that's worth the trouble. Intake does virtually nothing and short of changing out the cam you won't see much gain. The 5.0 Explorer already has the GT40 intake so that flows well from the factory.

I was going to swap cams when my engine was being rebuild but I decided against it since it was my daily and I didn't want to start playing with it and creating headaches for myself like every other vehicle I've owned. I wish my truck had more power but I still do not regret my decision to keep my cam stock.

XLT the OP has a 4.0 OHV

I have one on my Ex and I can say I feel a slight difference from stock. It won't go crazy fast but you should be able to feel a difference. No idea on a tune however.

Back