• Register Today It's free!

BBK + K&N FIPK problem...

syn-

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt - wip
So I installed a BBK TB I scored recently and found myself with a question or 2. The ending portion that goes into the rubber that connects to the throttle body. I have noticed that it tapers down and gets smaller (seeing how ideally K&N was meant for a stock TB). Now the part that gets me is on the BBK documentation, it says for ideal flow have a matching 66mm intake tubing. Does this mean I should now look into replacing K&N intake tubing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running the same setup. I had no problems with the install. The silicone hose from the K&N kit fit right onto the BBK. It might be be necessary to slightly loosen and expand the hose by soaking it in hot water for several minutes.

getting it on wasn't a problem, I am just curious to know if that is now a restriction.

Got it. I see your question, now. The K&N intake tube tapers down to fit into the silicone connector. The connector fits both the stock and BBK throttle bodies. So you're asking if the taper down in the intake tube affects performance of the BBK.

intaketube.jpg

The BBK also instruction sheet also includes the following statement.​

Optimum.jpg

While, the K&N intake tube could be redesigned to better match throttle body inner diameter, I can't see it causing serious detractions to performance. Anyone else?

What they are talking about is the opening on the intake manifold, not the actual intake tube.

Dan

That is what I was beginning to think, but wanted to make sure. To anyone out there reading this, the FIPK, BBK TB, and Vortec 73mm MAF as a combo do wonders to the XLT. I have added my changes one by one, slowly and noticed an increase each time (I can do 60 at 2k), also with the TB and MAF the FIPK does not whistle anymore. It in turn snarls at WOT, anyone have recommendations on the best performance exhaust? thinking flowmaster super 44 since I have the OHV.

Back