Because I apparently cannot find it.. Things to check on Explorer. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Because I apparently cannot find it.. Things to check on Explorer.

Ditto above. The "right" way is replacing with new leafs. Lowering via torsion bolts works, but you may need pricey camber kits and alignment depending on how much drop is needed. As Flash mentioned, Monroe Sensa Trac Load Adjusting shocks may be the perfect solution for you, especially at less than $100 per pair shipped. MANY satisfied users have gained a minimum of 1" rear lift although you will have a slightly firmer ride when the back is unloaded. Search 58617 on the forum, there are numerous threads and testimonials.

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58617-Sensa-Trac-Adjusting-Absorber/dp/B000C53RXK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can lower the front to match the back by adjusting the torsion bars or you can install an add a leaf kit in the back or extended spring shackles or you can install Monroe Sensatracs.

Ill probably end up lowering the front to match the back... I was thinking about lowering it a tad...

Ill probably end up lowering the front to match the back... I was thinking about lowering it a tad...

It wouldn't hurt to get a wheel alignment done after because lowering also effects the camber and toe.

Ditto above. The "right" way is replacing with new leafs. Lowering via torsion bolts works, but you may need pricey camber kits and alignment depending on how much drop is needed. As Flash mentioned, Monroe Sensa Trac Load Adjusting shocks may be the perfect solution for you, especially at less than $100 per pair shipped. MANY satisfied users have gained a minimum of 1" rear lift although you will have a slightly firmer ride when the back is unloaded. Search 58617 on the forum, there are numerous threads and testimonials.

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58617-Sensa-Trac-Adjusting-Absorber/dp/B000C53RXK

Ill probably end Up doing the Monroe swap... I have 148xxx miles on my explorer with what I think are the factory shocks. It will be done sometime soon... its not a massive priority right now seeing as how I probably wont put more than a 1000miles on it before I replace them...

Thanks Guys for all the Great Advice. Will Get that Alignment if I do get it lowered in the front Flash...

Ill probably end Up doing the Monroe swap... I have 148xxx miles on my explorer with what I think are the factory shocks. It will be done sometime soon... its not a massive priority right now seeing as how I probably wont put more than a 1000miles on it before I replace them...

So i've been looking around And have noticed a pair of the Sensatracs are going for anywhere between $70-100 on Ebay and Amazon...

This and I think I will probably end up doing the rear leafs too.. they don't look that expensive for a set of 4.. between $150 and $300.. so might do those too.. so I figure do the 4 main shocks... Does anyone recommend doing the 5th lateral shock?

Is rock auto a good supplier?

Found these there for not too bad:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3662139&cc=1119675&jnid=512&jpid=1

Rockauto is an excellent supplier with very good customer service. If you can wait for their shipping, their prices are second to none (also be sure to search Google for a "rockauto discount code" for an additional 5% off). I find their parts catalog to be far superior to most other vendors, it makes getting part numbers easy to cross check other sources like Advance (which has a terrible website).

Just be careful, Rockauto passes all shipping costs to you, so if you order from 5 different warehouses, you pay 5 different shipping charges. But they make it easy to find parts out of a single warehouse, I'm sure this is a big reason they can keep costs low, unlike other parts houses that offer "free shipping" but much higher part prices.

I would try the Sensatrac load leveling shocks before buying the new leaf springs. I think you'll find it gives you plenty of ride height.

Rockauto is an excellent supplier with very good customer service. If you can wait for their shipping, their prices are second to none (also be sure to search Google for a "rockauto discount code" for an additional 5% off). I find their parts catalog to be far superior to most other vendors, it makes getting part numbers easy to cross check other sources like Advance (which has a terrible website).

Just be careful, Rockauto passes all shipping costs to you, so if you order from 5 different warehouses, you pay 5 different shipping charges. But they make it easy to find parts out of a single warehouse, I'm sure this is a big reason they can keep costs low, unlike other parts houses that offer "free shipping" but much higher part prices.

I would try the Sensatrac load leveling shocks before buying the new leaf springs. I think you'll find it gives you plenty of ride height.

Understandable. Looks like I may be ordering from them then :) Wouldn't saggy leaf spring be the SOLE cause of the rear end sag? not the shocks? Could be wrong, its been known to happen. HAHA Ive also been looking at the Ranchos and the Fox shocks, but both are more expensive for similiar traits... its not an immediate need However I think they will be done at one point of another this summer.

The leaf springs definitely are the reason the back end is sagging, I'm just saying, the Monroe load leveling shocks generally restore the lost spring function and are a much more economical option. To be clear i'm talking about the LOAD-LEVELING shocks only with the built-in coil spring, like here:

51DjfWnGSpL.jpg

Monroe did their homework on this one, the coil springs apply exactly the same amount of load of the optional air suspension, so the truck's structure was designed for it. Since you are replacing shocks anyway, the load levelers are only a little bit of extra money compared to the standard shocks.

The leaf springs definitely are the reason the back end is sagging, I'm just saying, the Monroe load leveling shocks generally restore the lost spring function and are a much more economical option. To be clear i'm talking about the LOAD-LEVELING shocks only with the built-in coil spring, like here:

51DjfWnGSpL.jpg

Monroe did their homework on this one, the coil springs apply exactly the same amount of load of the optional air suspension, so the truck's structure was designed for it. Since you are replacing shocks anyway, the load levelers are only a little bit of extra money compared to the standard shocks.

Fair enough. those run for about $92.00 a pair not incl shipping. However that is not at all bad.. I was looking at Ranchos and Fox Shocks as I said above..both are pricier.

If im doing my shocks. Should I replace the 5th lateral shock as well? If so, what should I replace it with?

I've replaced the 5th shock on my 98 V6 and 96 V8, honestly couldn't tell the difference, but it can't hurt.

I've replaced the 5th shock on my 98 V6 and 96 V8, honestly couldn't tell the difference, but it can't hurt.

I found out another possible solution to go with the sensatracs.. The f-150 rear leafs.... I think this would be ok too if i could find a good shape one with the 5 leaf setup :)

I get a rocking movement while driving, sort of like someone is pushing against the roof gutter.

I think the lateral shock controls that but I'm not sure.

Back