Just purchased 1993 Ford Explorer, any maintenance I should do on it/things to be aware of? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just purchased 1993 Ford Explorer, any maintenance I should do on it/things to be aware of?

Helper024

Reaction score
City, State
Caldwell, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
I've just purchased a 1993 Explorer, Automatic tranny 4 door XLT with automatic hub 4x4 and 185,000 miles. Been running great, just did an oil change and threw an additive in the fuel to help clean out the system(it had no gas cap upon purchase.) Also planning to flush both coolant and power steering fluid. Is there any other maintenance I should do with it or problems it would be worth looking into?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've just purchased a 1993 Explorer, Automatic tranny 4 door XLT with automatic hub 4x4 and 185,000 miles. Been running great, just did an oil change and threw an additive in the fuel to help clean out the system(it had no gas cap upon purchase.) Also planning to flush both coolant and power steering fluid. Is there any other maintenance I should do with it or problems it would be worth looking into?
I'd go with some motor craft plugs and some new spark plug wires new thermostat lower and upper radiator hoses fan belt and heater core hose clean the maf sensor

I'd do a pressure test of the cooling system to check for any leaks.

Flush the brake fluid out through the rear brakes.

As others have mentioned, change fluids. All of them. This vehicle is approaching 30 years old. Depending on its care and storage, rubber components among other things can dry rot and fail. Pay close attention to hoses. Check your brake hoses and coolant hoses for chafing and cracks. By servicing all the vehicle systems, it will force you to interact with them and possibly observe any issues along the way.

I'd tune it up, change the fuel filter and other filters if not done already, then drive it. Get a feel for all it's systems.

If you hear or feel any clunking in the steering wheel, check the beam pivot bushings and radius arm bushings.
There is about a quarter inch I can turn the steering wheel without any of the steering components responding, feels like its the connection from the steering wheel to the steering column, but it's probably the bushings you mentioned.

Rear and front diff fluid

Drain the transmission fluid, drop the pan & torque the valve body and reverse servo. Flush the lines & trans coolers, make sure the coolers have flow. New filter and fluid with a bottle of Lubegard red.

I like to replace the pan with a Dorman pan that has a drain plug, been getting mine at Napa, about $45.

Drain the transmission fluid, drop the pan & torque the valve body and reverse servo. Flush the lines & trans coolers, make sure the coolers have flow. New filter and fluid with a bottle of Lubegard red.

I like to replace the pan with a Dorman pan that has a drain plug, been getting mine at Napa, about $45.
That's awesome, I didn't know there was one with a drain. I'll be ordering some of those.

Hoses break a radiator hose will kill a motor that old also be very careful with power steering take that top hose off will make it leak. Belts too make sure they are in excellent shape you happen to break a radiator hose you should carry blue devil head gasket repair in the bugger.

There is about a quarter inch I can turn the steering wheel without any of the steering components responding, feels like its the connection from the steering wheel to the steering column, but it's probably the bushings you mentioned.
Tie rod ends

I have a 1994 Explorer 4 door XLR with 198,000 miles and I've had it since it was new. You will enjoy yours.

Check the plastic manifold that connects the Mass Air Flow sensor to the engine. Mine had a hole worn into it after the MAF which allowed too much air in and confused the engine management system.

Watch the motor mounts. The XLTs are bouncy enough without adding excess engine movement. I replaced mine with Ford heavy duty mounts once the factory ones started to wear.

Wheel alignment can be an issue on this model. If my alignment is properly set it lasts for years on all sorts of roads without issue, but it takes a really good 4WD alignment shop to get it right.

Leaves and dirt can collect under the windshield molding holding moisture and causing the molding bracket pins to disintegrate and the molding to loosen. My glass guy says it's OK to replace the rusted pins with windshield adhesive to secure the molding -- just follow the instructions. he says. Haven't done it yet.

The master switch module for the windows (on the driver's side door) can fail, causing problems with the other window control switches.

The rear window stays can wear and unexpectedly stop holding up the glass - quite a surprise the first time the glass bangs down on the back of your head. Be careful. The rear door strut system on some models was subject to a factory recall to be replaced with better fasteners. You should be able to use the VIN number to see if yours need to be done.

Once a month or so find a dirt or gravel road and engage the 4WD system and run it a bit. It needs to be exercised occasionally to keep everything working properly. Be sure to engage the 4x4 low range, too. Lots of parts need to move and stay lubricated. Don't engage on hard pavement or you can cause binding problems. When you shift back to 2WD, don't forget to back up far enough to allow the automatic hubs to disengage.

My Explorer is no longer a daily driver (have a 2000 Taurus for that) but I keep it because it's so handy. I am thoroughly satisfied with it -- it's been my main machine for many years on jobsites from mountain tops to the desert. It's hauled people and movie gear all over the place. If your machine had been well kept you are in for years of good service. If not, with a little effort I hope you can make it so.

It's cool to see people who had these when they were new. I was 9 in 1991 and I wanted my dad to buy one so bad! We bought an Aerostar instead. It was great but wasn't an explorer. Especially when my best friend's dad bought a 91 Eddie Bauer within a couple weeks of us buying our van.

just curious.

my 1993 odometer only went up to five digits. I remember that because I kept track of the number of times I rolled it over. four times before I recycled it.

just curious.

my 1993 odometer only went up to five digits. I remember that because I kept track of the number of times I rolled it over. four times before I recycled it.
That's a lot of miles. Did you do any major component work in that time? Surely transmission replacements at the very least.

First gens got 6 digit odometers in late 94. I believe Navajos had them since the first year. My 93 Navajo has a 6 digit. I always wondered why Ford never changed that sooner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First gens got 6 digit odometers in late 94. I believe Navajos had them since the first year.
I've been curious about this. I bought a 94 back in November & always wondered why it has a 5 digit odometer.

Back