Belt, balancer or tensioner?

mpersell

Reaction score
City, State
Richardson, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
Hi all, these forums are lifesavers.

I have a 92 XLT pushrod 4.0L. Seems to go through a serpentine belt once a year which I can live with. The last belt was about two months and it began to fray on the front edge. I changed it today.

When I started the motor the belt is hanging up on the very front edge of the crank pulley for 30 seconds and then you can hear the belt snap back into place.

Is it common for the 4.0 to slip harmonic balancers? I know the Jeep 4.0 does it regularly, I have a 92 Cherokee with its 2nd pulley in 5 years. Another story...

Can the tensioner be too loose? Usually I replace the belt when it sqeaks too mch.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to replace the tensioner at about 90,000 mi.
Belts should last 40,000mi at least. Something isnt right and I would look hard at the tensioner.

I havent heard of ant ballancer problems with the 4.0L Ford. I agree with Bill on the tensioner though.

Mine is original, and still very tight. Had to use a very long arm to get my new belt on.
btw-138k miles

When I put the belt on yesterday I moved the tensioner with a 12 inch 3/8 drive ratchet, one handed. I think there lies the problem, a worn out tensioner.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Mike

yeah, sounds like it. I can get the belt off that way, but getting it on takes a lot more effort, cause you got to get it way up there.

good luck.

Andy

17mm bolts hold it on. the bottom one is a PITA unless you have a racheting box end wrench.

Back